We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

upstate ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

Hi, family of four, two teens boy and girl 13 and 15, this will be our first visit in summer. very confused about best location to stay in lake george, as I have heard driving in village in summer is difficult due to traffic and parking. Not looking to camp or "rough it", we do like walking, shopping, mini golf, visiting museums, boat rides, swimming, arcades etc. Are there any national chain hotels that are clean and nice within walking distance to attractions (not sure about some of the mom and pop type places I am seeing) but then it looks like the nicer hotels are not on the main drag of attractions? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,539 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

" but then it looks like the nicer hotels are not on the main drag of attractions"

There are many on the main drag In the Village of LG and others located around the Lake.

It boils down to where you want to be; personally I have stayed in many places in the Village and on the outskirts of the village. Being in the Village give you the option of not having to use your car and being close to some of the restaurants, stores and the main activity of the Village where most all the action takes place, and yes being in the Village can cost a bit more.

There is just so much to choose from it can be a headache to some. Even being in the Village you might still have to use a car if you want to go to different ends of the village but staying In the village is still IMO the best way to go.

" we do like walking, shopping, mini golf, visiting museums, boat rides, swimming, arcades etc. Are there any national chain hotels that are clean and nice within walking distance to attractions"

You will find most all of what your looking for in and around the village with the exception of some, LG does have outlet stores that are close but not walk able. Swimming, boats, walking, Arcades are all available both in the village and on the out skirts of the village.

There are other major attractions and sites out of the village where you will need a car to see but thats really no problem at all. The Great Escape Theme Park, Rodeos, Glenn Falls, Bolton Landing, MT Prospect, Fort Ticonderoga and Saratoga Springs to name a very few.

Activities in and around the Lake are Abundant, just the water sports alone can keep you busy and happy.

If you like horseback riding, Go carts, Golfing, Water parks your in the right place and of course the History of Lake George, Fort William Henry, is must.

upstate ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply, looking at it I can tell that Fort William Henry is definitely a must, and I know my son will love th go carts too. its hard to tell never having been there where the hotels are all located, but the village looks like where we definitely will stay. Thanks "dice man" :)

Boston
Level Contributor
24,539 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

" Are there any national chain hotels that are clean and nice within walking distance to attractions "

Yes, more then a few but some I would Not recommend.

Here is one that I would, I have stayed here, it was very clean, its Not on the water but in the village, and don’t forget there is a beach in the Village that you can use.

The Quality Inn $$/$$$ depending on time.

http://www.qualityinnlakegeorge.com/

Without Knowing Your Budget its hard to recommend places.

Also know that Much of LG is on the rustic side and some places could use a little refurbishing. Many of the places that I recommended to you are fine.

These places are In the Village and all have lake front property plus pools, over time I have stayed in all of them with a few exceptions. Plus there are others beside the ones I mentioned.

Georgian $$$

Surfside on the Lake $$, newer rooms, some older rooms

Marine Village $$$

O'Sullivan's $$

Scottys $$ rustic, cabins and rooms

This Place is out of the Village but a Great places to stay, its not on the water but does have a pool and is 5 min to the Village.

Kathys A frame Cottages, practically where my children spent summers.

http://www.kathysmotel.com/

This is My favorite, but is costly $$$$

Lodges at Cresthaven

http://www.cresthavenlodges.com/

On the water with many amenities, about 15 ride from the village and has all you need in one place.

Another TOP end Hotel in Bolton landing .

The Sagamore $$$$, beautiful location on LG, a drive to the village, many amenities.

http://www.thesagamore.com

This is where I booked for this summer trip since Im taking my two Grand Kids

Then Great Escape Lodge, can be costly but does have an indoor water park and is almost across from the great Escape theme park.

http://www.sixflagsgreatescapelodge.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
24,539 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

…photobucket.com/user/…20George2010

If you have any questions ASK, there are many experts much more knowledgeable then I when it comes to LG who often answer questions on this board.

Edited: 9:35 am, April 11, 2013
Westchester County
Level Contributor
651 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

DiceMan gave you great advice. I would add that Fort William Henry is a great place to stay and you can't beat their location in the heart of the Village. The most economical rooms is on their "motel" side. This side could use some refurbishing. The better rooms are in the main hotel but are quite pricey this time of year. They have both an outdoor and indoor pool. On the night of the fireworks (Thursdays), you will have prime seating at their pool as they only allow guests to sit there. Across the street from Fort William Henry (not on the lake side) is the Quality Inn which DiceMan also recommended. This is a very clean motel with a great pool. You can walk through Fort William Henry's parking lot and be in the heart of it all in less than five minutes.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,539 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

" DiceMan gave you great advice. I would add that Fort William Henry is a great place to stay and you can't beat their location in the heart of the Village."

Your 100% correct, I should have mentioned it, it also has a great view of the lake with the right room and some very decent restaurants. They also host the annual Auto show every September

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

The above posts really did a great job of things. In short if you stay in the Village then the kids can easily get to many things they will like. Some things will require a car no matter where you stay. Staying in the Village is sensible in this case. The kids will likely prefer staying in the Village rather than elsewhere. Don't forget to explore other areas of the Lake while here - Bolton Landing, Fort Ticonderoga to name a few

8. Re: First time family visit with young teens - advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 14, 2014