We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on restaurants in June

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on restaurants in June

I have been going to Lake George with my 6 and 5 year olds the last three June's. I was looking for advice on restaurants. I am from NYC but not a food snob. I can be just as happy with bar food as I am with fine dining. Over the last few years I've taken the kids to the Moose Tooth Grill which they love, and have made expensive mistakes like Christie on the Lake. Pizza jerks is a favorite. I tried to eat at the Mexican restaurant Garcia's but after 20 minutes without menus we went up the block to a burrito shop. Also ate at the hot dog stop I think it was called D's dogs.

Most of the time we leave the village and end up with Chillis or Johnny Rockets. Is there a really good restaurant (could care less what kind of food or where it is) to take the kids to? I heard the boathouse was good, but some of the reviews are iffy. I also wanted to try Son of a Sailor (for the Buffet reference)

Also for activities, did anything new pop up this year? I have obviously done Great Escape, Tubby Tubes (the fake winter one), Minnie HaHA and the beaches at Bolton. Is there a great place where the kids will have a ball in the daytime?

Thanks for the help.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Restaurants: Docksider on Glen Lake; Harvest in Queensbury; Cates in Bolton Landing; Georges Lake George East side, Old China Buffet Queensbury. Son of the Sailor in Bolton is out of business - which is unfortunate.

I recommend going to Fort Ticonderoga - the kids are a bit young to get a lot of it but they will have fun and it is a real fort - not like Fort William Henry in the Village.

There are some real nice hikes even the kids can do. www.adk.org/Hikes/Shelving_Rock_Falls_P.aspx.

Up Yonda Farms is another potential thing to do with the kids. The Adirondack Museum is another option too

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

We love the Docksider on Glen Lake (close to Great Escape and Johnny Rockets), Raul's in Glens Falls (very small! take out with kids), and New Way Lunch in Glens Falls, Queensbury, and Warrensburgh. Of course, the crowd favorite for ice cream is Martha's.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Sorry, ADK, didn't see your post!

My kids LOVE Cate's!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

No problem, jkelly. We posted at virtually the same time.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

" Most of the time we leave the village and end up with Chillis or Johnny Rockets. Is there a really good restaurant (could care less what kind of food or where it is) to take the kids to? I heard the boathouse was good, but some of the reviews are iffy."

A really good restaurant? do you mean a step up from Johnny Rockets or truly a really good restaurant?

Boathouse is one of my favorites for lunch.

Westchester County
Level Contributor
644 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Son of a Sailor is out? I didn't get a chance to eat there. Good suggestions for restaurants above. I love Docksider. For bar food, I like going to Shepards Cove to sit outside. The best spot on the lake.and no one cares that kids are walking around on the deck. As for activities, the Big Apple Circus will be in town this summer at the old Gaslight Village site in town. It's about time they did something with that area.

NYC
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Thanks for the comments.

NYC
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Dice,

Ha, step up. (Almost everything is a step up from JR) I was looking for an overall good quality restaurant. My kids are well behaved, but after a half and hour, they do start to get bored and do typical things that 6 and 5 year olds do. I don't want to end up at a restaurant that really quiet and doesn't have other kids there. However, I don't want to eat at Johnny Rockets and Mooth Tooth everynight.

I was going to try the Boathouse one night. I almost stayed there this year, instead opted for a cheaper hotel.

NYC
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on restaurants in June

Thanks for the info ADK.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,080 posts