We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Winburne,pa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!

Anyone know the best place to stay in Adirondacks? We have never vistited the area before and I am stumped. There is so much information. We would like the most scenic place opposed to crowded. On some kind of water a must. Camping or a inexpensive cabin. Also we would be traveling from central pa, and closest distance would be nice! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

New Hampshire
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Hi I grew up in the Lake George area. I don't know how much you're willing to spend but I suggest The Georgian. Right on the water, great food, walking distance from downtown. Expensive but I can point you to other places if it turns out to be above your budget. I'm in a rock band that plays in Lake George often and have played at The Georgian at a few weddings.

Winburne,pa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

thanks rnewell...looked that one up it looked nice but it is a little pricey for me, I just don't need to pay that much and have something so fancy. I just am more into the scenery and place itself. SO you know any little hole in the wall on the water with a great view? It can be a camping cabin even. THANKS!

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

Hi Palmsunday,

May I suggest you look at www.Lakegeorge.com? It gives you websites to just about every place in the Lake George area. It breaks it down from motels & B&B's, campsites to resorts. It has been really helpful.

We've stayed at The Capri off season (the weekend of Anirondacks Nationals) and it was approximately $100 a night for 2 bdrm. w/kitchen. Not very fancy, but the folks there are very nice and it's right on the lake. Very family oriented.

BTW, happy Palm Sunday! And good luck. The Adirondacks are really beautiful.

Sue

NYNY
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

Stay away from Lake George, it's tacky,touristy and crowded. There are plenty of reasonably priced cabins to rent in the real Adirondacks on lakes that are peaceful, quiet and gorgeous. They just aren't easy to find. You won't find them on any vacation type website. Try searching in Google for Raquette Lake, Lake Algonquin, maybe Blue Mountain lake. Look at a map, anything up that way will be

better than Lake George unless you want to shop a lot. Try here

cyberrentals.com/USA/…r1742.htm

or here

roundthebend.com/adirondacks/dackcots.html

If you must be near Lake George try Lake Vanare, a small but lovely lake about 7 miles east or Lake Luzerne a few miles down the road. But if it's scenery you want it's worth the extra hour or so to go further into the Adirondacks and far from the maddening crowd. Beleive me, you won't be happy at Lake George if you are interested in outdoorsy stuff.

Winburne,pa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

THANKS so much lkcoss !

That is a great bunch of information, I appreciate your time. I just thought the lake george area would be closer to where we were coming from(Central Pa).

We didn't want to drive too far this first trip. We do like the outdoors more than the crowds.

It so very difficult to find the best place in a new area, but usually I find something interesting but there seems so much in this region I was very confused THANKS AGAIN!

NYNY
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

You are so welcome.

I met some people from mid Pennsylvania up at Raquette Lake last year who didn't take the New York Thruway. They took a route up the middle of the state. Wish I could tell you exactly but I'm not sure, I know they took RT 81 north to Binghamton. They had been going there for years, trailing a boat even, and said it was much better,more scenic and faster.

Something to look into anyhow.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a fantastic vacation. You will love the Adirondacks!

new britain,ct
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

we have booked a week in july at a cottge or house at bakersfield east campground it is very reasonable. we have never stayed in lake george either, but this seemed reasonable. check out the website or e-mail grace1284 on aol for info please mention i recomended it. meril robinson. thanks close to lake george without the noise and on a campsite for nature. swimming pool, on a river for fishing, etc

Winburne,pa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!

Thanks sunnfox!

The rates sure are resonable and I like the camping cabins. They also have a Tipi-interesting. I just am not sure if it is located on some water.I think it may have river access? I would like to be on a lake.

Also thanks again lkcoss I will definally look into the scenic route you mentioned-great info

Adirondacks
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!

The scenic route is Rt 12 out of Binghampton up to Utica and then on to Rt 28 to get to the Old Forge-Blue Mountain Lake area and beyond.

There are many small cabins for rent in the Old Forge to Blue Mtn areas. Lake George is VERY touristy!!!

Try the Old Forge website or perhaps do a search based on what you would like to do and go from there.

Good Luck

Wappingers Falls...
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!

Try The Juliana. Very nice little inexpensive resort with small private beach and quaint. Very nice hosts. Clean.