We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake George with a Newborn

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Lake George with a Newborn

My husband needs to make a sales trip to the Lake George area next week and me and baby boy are considering tagging along just to get us out of the house. He's only 2 weeks old and I'm still not sure we'll go along, but if we do, I was considering the steamboat cruise (whichever is shortest) and maybe going out to dinner - Smokey Joe's?? I'd be happy getting good takeout and having a picnic somewhere too if anyone can recommend a good spot to set up.

Baby boy can't be in crowded places yet so I'm not sure about venturing out. Does anyone know how crowded these two venues get?

We're only there overnight (Tuesday to Wednesday) so it's a short trip. And yes- I'm a first time Mom... feel free to tell me if I'm insane for even considering it. :-) Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,781 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Bistro LeRoux
$$$$, French, American, International
Caldwell House Restaurant
$$ - $$$, American, Steakhouse, Bar
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake George with a Newborn

I don't think you're crazy. I loved to travel (one nighters) with my first born. It actually gets trickier when he or she starts toddling.

I don't think either venue is too crowded. My only concern with the boat is there's no escape if the baby is unhappy for some reason. You might want to consider a drive up Prospect Mtn instead. You could actually eat your BBQ at one of the picnic tables at the top and the view is spectacular.

Don't let me disuade you from the boat, though. Your baby may be very content, and it could be very enjoyable. Have fun!

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake George with a Newborn

The Minnie-Ha-Ha cruise is only 1 hour, and is very relaxing and wasn't cramped or crowded. I would recommend trying that with a baby or kids of any age. We spent a week in Cape Cod when my youngest son was 4 weeks old, and ate in restaurants nightly without a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Westchester County
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake George with a Newborn

I agree with JKelly. Much easier traveling with a newborn than with a todderl! At least the newborn stays put and you aren't chasing them around the restaurant! All the restaurants in Lake George are geared towards families so no matter where you go, they will welcome a baby carriage. You are going during the week too so it won't be as crowded as a weekend trip. When my kids were little, I liked eating at the outdoor venues so I could get up and walk around with the baby. You'll have a good time!

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,781 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake George with a Newborn

Just today I mentioned to someone that traveling with a newborn can be easier than traveling with a toddler. Newborns do not run around and if the are fed and dry they do not care about the type of restaurant you want to enjoy. By all means come to town with your new baby and have a great time. The short boat cruises can be enjoyable as is the drive up prospect mountain.

5. Re: Lake George with a Newborn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 02, 2012