We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Hi everyone,

We travel by car to LG every July to participate in the Lake George Community Band Festival. This year we'd like to continue our trip to NYC. We'd like to take the train to avoid hefty parking fees in NYC, but we aren't sure which train station would be best for leaving our car there for a week.

We see that there is a train station with about 10 long term parking spots in Fort Edward but from what I've read, it seems to be in a fairly deserted area with nothing around. Is that accurate? Will we have a hard time getting one of those 10 spots on a Sunday afternoon?

The other option we were considering was to drive to Saratoga Springs as it appears to be a bigger centre with more parking spots available (I think I read that there were 40 spots).

Can anyone chime in as to where they think it would be best to leave from to take the train? As well, do you know if there is a fee to park at the train station?

Thanks for your advice!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

IMHO, the best for you it would be to drive to the Albany/Rensselaer Amtrak train station and park your car there. My husband used to leave his car for a few days without any problems and there was no fee. You would need to check if there is now parking fee involved. There is a big parking area as many people travel to NYC. From Rensselaer there are about 10 trains daily to Penn Station and that is no a case from Saratoga.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

I agree with Places. ALB is probably your best bet, though there is now a daily parking fee. Saratoga is safe with plenty of free parking, but the train will stop over in ALB for about a half hour anyways, plus you will be charged a small fare per person from SAR to ALB. There are also more trains daily to NYC from ALB, as Places noted.

Not to add any confusion to the matter, but, you may want to consider taking the Metro North from Poughkeepsie or Beacon to Grand Central. The fares per person are much lower than from Albany, and the parking areas are fairly safe. HTH.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

I have used both the ALB Amtrak station and the POU Metro North Station. Amtrak will bring you into Penn Station and as JKelley noted the Metro North will bring you in to Grand Central. That may be a tie breaker for you but assuming that does not matter then the Metro North station has the advantage of a lot more travel times available. Both work equally well for getting into and out of the City and in the grand scheme of things they take about the same amount of time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I looked at the times from Albany and we could definitely maximize our time doing it that way since there are so many trains!

I'm not sure what Metro North is...is that a train, subway, bus?

Westchester County
Level Contributor
644 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Metro North is the New York transit system which goes to Grand Central and not to Penn Station. Amtrak will go to Penn Station.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Select Grand Central and POU from the dropdown list

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Would I take the Amtrak from Albany to Poughkeepsie and then transfer to the Metro North service? Or would it be better to drive to Poughkeepsie and take the Metro North from there? I'm just thinking that if I am to drive to Poughkeepsie, I might as well just pay the price to take Amtrak from Albany.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

Drive to Poughkeepsie.

If there are more than 2 people in your party, it usually saves a bit of money.

Otherwise, just take the Amtrak from ALB.

9. Re: Train service from Lake George area to New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2013