We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours in city - transport to/from JFK

IloveMunster
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
12 hours in city - transport to/from JFK

Hi everyone, I've got a 12 hour overnight layover in JFK and I want to go into the city. I know I can get the sky train from JFK to Jamaica Street but how can I get to Manhattan from there? Can anyone please help?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hours in city - transport to/from JFK

What time does your flight arrive? Will you need to go through Customs and Immigration at JFK or will you be pre-cleared?

You want the AirTrain (not the Sky Train, that's in Vancouver) from your terminal to the Jamaica Station (not Jamaica Street.) There you can either get the Long Island Rail Road commuter train into Penn Station, or the E train subway into Manhattan.

Where in Manhattan do you want to go? For Lower Manhattan you would be better off taking the AirTrain to Howard Beach and the A train subway into Manhattan.

Will you be able to check your luggage through to your destination? You certainly won't want to have to take it with you for your 12 hour excursion.

2. Re: 12 hours in city - transport to/from JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 19, 2014