We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Hi all - driving from NYC to Ithaca on Saturday morning, and, as a number of options have been presented to us, we were wondering what the most picturesque route might be. The only issue is that we can't take more than 5 hours, which obviously precludes any long detours. Any advice would be great appreciated. Thanks.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

I live south of Ithaca and visit NYC fairly regularly. The fastest drive is Route 80 across PA, then 380 N up to 81 N through Binghamton to 79 W to Ithaca. To be honest, you drive through the Poconos, then the hills of NY. It is all pretty. It takes about 5 hours. You can also take Route 17/I 86 across the Southern Tier of NY, then 81 N, to 79 W. A little more scenic, but still moves along pretty good. (Speed limit 55-65, depending on area). It takes about 5.5-6 hours.

Tell me which way you decide to take and I can recommend restaurants about midway.

Peggy

CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Hi Peggy, thanks so much for your quick response. Owing to time, we should probably take the 80/81/79 route. The fact that you say the drive is pretty seals the deal. And I would indeed greatly appreciate any restaurant recs along the way- we'll definitely be stopping for either brunch or lunch. Many thanks.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

There is a great diner in Scotrun, PA just before you get onto Route 380. Get off aat the Rte 715/611 Exit(forgot number) Follow 715 to 611 north. Go past The Crossings Outlet Center(or allow time and stop in, great bargains). About a mile past it on the left is the diner. A family tradition to stop here as my sister lives on LI.

How long will you be in Ithaca for? For a small town it has some awesome restaurants anad things to see and do.

Peggy

CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Just over the weekend for a wedding. However we're definitely looking for a place for a good Sunday brunch or lunch in Ithaca, so would appreciate any tips. Thanks yet again for your help.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

My pleasure! I love Ithaca and in fact have worked at Cornell on/off for over 20 years building their buildings. I am a pipefitter doing heating and cooling.

If you want a waterview, Kellys Dockside Inn or the Boatyard Grill are both downtown on the water on Route 89. The Statler Hotel on campus has a Sunday brunch, but I would call for reservations. Also if you like art take an hour and wander through the Johnson Art museum(free but donations accepted). Go to the top floor for a really fabulous view of Cayuga Lake.

If you want to get more daring there are Indian, Japanese, Greek, French restaurants that are all open Sundays.

Let me kn ow which one you decide to go to and how it was!

Peggy

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

You will have plenty of brunch choices in Ithaca. A couple of good ones are the Carriage House up in Collegetown or Cafe Dewitt near the Commons. I also recommend a stop at the Ithaca Farmers Market where you could also get a really tasty bite.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Pegdafittr,

I too love Kelly's Dockside. Ate there a lot when I use to live in Ithaca (many moons ago). I am going to have to make a trip to Ithaca just to have breakfast there.

CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Thank you so much, everyone, for the responses. I will definitely report back after the weekend.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

Other brunch options:

North Star (Falls Street at the end of Tioga Street) Newer restaurant, creative items, vegetarian options. Great fun & funky vibe.

Sheldrake Point (40 minute scenic drive north of Ithaca- check their website for hours, which may be seasonal), plus you can taste wine too!

I don't think either drive from NYC to Ithaca is particularly scenic, but going through the Delaware Water Gap on Rt. 80 is quite lovely.

We go 81/380/80 since we are typcially aiming at the Lincoln Tunnel, and that's the way the GPS sends us ;) We go the other way if we are north of the city.

10. Re: Best drive from NYC to Ithaca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, March 07, 2011