We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - One night in Ithaca (24 June)

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - One night in Ithaca (24 June)

Trip so far:

My 26-year-old daughter had just finished a four-month postgrad exchange program at Cornell, and we had a 10-day vacation together in NYC. The trip so far: we had just been up to Niagara Falls and were supposed to spend a "couple-of-hours" at Ithaca on the way back to NYC. Luckily, that plan was abandonned because they'd had too much driving the past two days ..After four non-stop days in NYC, and an unforgettable time at Niagara, the story continues:

Arrival in Ithaca

We thought we had taken a wrong turning but a local resident saw us looking at maps and asked where we wanted to go. We were, in fact, heading in the right direction and the road followed the shores of one of the Finger Lakes. We arrived at Ithaca and as my daughter's freinds were't at home, we walked around the corner and up the hill where she had walked nearly every day during the past four months.

I had imagined Ithaca to be much larger but instead it was more like a village, with lots of trees and houses built on quite steep hillsides. In fact, we decided to stay at Hillside Inn for the night. . Everyone was glad not be be sitting in the car any more :) . N showed me her small room and introduced me to some of her mates who had returned by then.

She took me on an individual tour of the campus (not like the groups of Freshmen and women who were being taken around in groups. We went to the little chapel, and I enjoyed strolling around while she went to return a book to the library

We went to the Wall-mart - at about 11 o'clock and got a mobile phone for me - no sim card or PIN number needed , which one has to have here in Europe. Once back at the little hotel which was very comfortable and reasonably priced, my daughthey and her boyfriend set up the mobile for me, so that we at least had a way to communicate during the last four days in Brooklyn. When I left I gave the phone to S, as his phone had been lost during the past few days ...

There were no squirrels on the green lawns and open spaces, After that, we visited the Cornell shop and I got some small gifts to bring back with me. N got me a t-shirt for my birthday without me noticing it :) A nice thought. We then went to Collegetown Bagel and I think I had the best one ever, before we set off on our remaining trip back to NYC.

I was really proud of my daughter driving through late afternoon traffic. We were unfortunately too late for me to be dropped off in Brooklyn, so I had to take a cab to Honey's B&B. Had a very nice ride with a cabbie from Haiti who dropped me off at my B&B. It had been a long but eventful day. The key and welcoming letter were waiting for me in the letterbox on the verandah.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - One night in Ithaca (24 June)

Thanks for the trip report Lizby, I hope you enjoyed your stay. It is beautiful here and the Hillside Inn is very conveniently located to campus.

2. Re: Trip Report - One night in Ithaca (24 June)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 25, 2011