We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please toss in you two cents

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Please toss in you two cents

No, I'm not looking for a hand-out. I would just like your opinions.

I've been searching for accomodations for our first-time one-week stay in Ithaca.

I've come upon two places that look affordable for us.

The first one is a neat and unusual yurt in a meadow. It's modern and includes a loft with a star-light view for my 12 yo daughter. It has a small pond and lovely flower gardens. It's about 12 miles south of Ithaca.

The second is right on the lake. It's a cottage that was built in 2005 and recently renovated so it looks brand new and modern. It has a wrap-around wood deck and a dock into the lake. It has two bedrooms which will work for my husband, myself, and our 12 yo duaghter. It's about a 25 minute drive into Ithaca.

They are both priced within $100 of each other, so cost is not an issue.

Neither is the drive because we will be doing a lot of driving to state parks and other sites around the area.

I'm leaning towards the lake cottage because I LOVE the water, but I've never even heard of a Yurt until I found this place online.

Any experience or opionions or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Karen in Kentucky

Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please toss in you two cents

Sorry about the typo...the title should read your two cents, not you two cents!

Ithaca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please toss in you two cents

You didn't say when you're visiting. If it's in the winter, you might want to think about what road that yurt is on, as there will likely be snow at the higher elevations. Lake rentals are usually expensive June thru August. When are you coming and what towns are the places in?

Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please toss in you two cents

We're coming mid June.

Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please toss in you two cents

The lake rental is on Cayuga, the Yurt is 12 miles south of Ithaca.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
896 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please toss in you two cents

If the drive is not an issue I would stay on the lake. Yurts are very, very cool unless it rains. Not that they leak (they shouldn't) but you'd be much more comfortable in a house. Plus the lake is really beautiful. You picked a great time to visit. After the college graduations but before the summer rush.

Ithaca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please toss in you two cents

The lake definitely has a more 'upscale' feel to it. The water is too cold to swim in in June- less than 60 degrees. If you're on the east shore, you'll be near Aurora, which is small but interesting. On the west shore, there are lots of wineries & Taughannock Park.

The only yurts that I'm aware of, and I'm sure there are others, don't have electricity. Probably more private than the lake. Ponds warm up faster and are usually swimmable in June.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please toss in you two cents

We have family in both Ithaca and just north in Trumansburg.

The lake rental wins out by a long shot in my opinion!

Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please toss in you two cents

Wow. Sixty degree water? That IS too cold to swim in, but after reading everyone's suggestions, we are going to stay on the lake in a house.

I have a long list of things I'd like to see and do, but I'll have to wait until I get there to see how much energy I really have.

Moosewood's, Niagra Falls (I know it's a drive), Corning Glassworks, the gardens at Cornell and all three state parks/waterfalls top the list.

It's supposed to be -1 tonight in Kentucky. I'm looking forward to my warm summer week in Ithaca.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Karen in Kentucky

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please toss in you two cents

You should consider a stop at Watkins Glen State Park on the day you go to Corning. It is a highlight in the state and really should not be missed.

You should also check out the weekend Farmer's Market - an Ithaca institution and one of it's highlights.

Also, if you are looking for child friendly options, check out the Cayuga Nature Center and/or Museum of the Earth. Both are a short drive from Ithaca and are even closer if you stay on the west side of the lake.

Your drive to Niagara Falls will be about 3 hours each way. A long day if you are not doing an overnight there.

Enjoy your trip to beautiful CNY!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please toss in you two cents

It looks like you picked the lake by now??

The lake is really the way to go! You will love it, so relaxing.

June is swimming weather for kids and eskimos :) The water really is slow to warm up, but if you are lucky it will be HOT when you are here (OK, hot by NY standards...) and you will want to get wet!

People around here are just used to the cold water, but you may find it umm, overly refreshing?

There is a ton to do, if your kid likes dinosaurs or fossils plan to visit the Museum of the Earth.