We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday fish fry

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victor, New York
Level Contributor
402 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Friday fish fry

Any restaurants in Ithaca have a great fish fry on Friday nights?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday fish fry

How very upstate, a Friday night fish fry! I should know, I always will be an upstate gal, even though I no longer reside there. Nothing like a good ole NY Friday night fish fry. Can't get them anywhere else.

I had to laugh at your post, cause I've been researching the Finger Lakes area for a while since we are planning a trip there this summer. I'm trying to find an affordable place to stay around Ithaca. I should just stay with my friend in Auburn, but my husband wants to be near Cornell for his conference.

Anyway, I was actually reading a 1989 National Geographic Traveler (takes me a while to get through my mags) and their story on the "Realm of the Long Lakes" begins with a tale of Dough's Fish Fry in Skaneateles. I thought, boy did that writer really peg us upstaters. Supposed to be good. Their motto is (or was, if they no longer exist)

3 things some great restaurants do:

accept credit cards

serve good coffee

take reservations

Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles

Does none of these.

It's not Ithaca, but if Doug's still exists, must be good if it made it into the National Geographic Traveler.

Enjoy a good ole NY fish fry for me, can't get them here in KY

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday fish fry

Doug's does still exist, is still excellent, and still follows the same rules. The closest branch to Ithaca is at Cortland, and the lines are long on Fridays during Lent.

Maxie's Supper Club in Ithaca (google for info), always has a good Fish Fry- every day, and any restaurant in town will have a fish fry special on Fridays, expecially during Lent. Nowhere comes to mind as being a 'oooh, we have to go to X to get Fish Fry' though.

New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday fish fry

People do rave about Doug's Fish fry but we find it to be a greasy mess of a fish fry. We've tried it a few times as it's a favorite of the in-laws and it's just a huge portion of fishy grease. The fries taste like the fishy grease, the inion rings taste like the fishy grease, even my soda tasted like the fishy grease. But we've always been out numbered in our review of the joint so give it a go.

There just isn't a place in Ithaca reknowned for it's fish fry. Max's American Grill in the Holiday Inn has an "ALL U CAN EAT" one on Fridays but I've never tried it. The Ale House on Aurora St. has a beer battered offereing I've noticed on the menu but, again, hav enever tried.

Ithaca,NY
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday fish fry

The Glenwood Pines have an excellent Fish Fry. They are located on Route 89. Try their famous "Pines Burger" too.

5. Re: Friday fish fry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 22, 2009