We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining recommendations?

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dining recommendations?

Hi: Staying at Taughanock Farms in Trumansburg for 3 nights in October and researching dining options for 3 evening meals. The 3 on list so far (no first hand experience) are the Farm's dining room itself, Moosewood Restaurant and the Taverna Banfi at Statler.

Any thoughts based on first hand experience on 3 above welcomed as well as suggestions in the Trumansburg/Ithaca area. Clean, good local food and mid-range pricing. Have had a look at the Finger Lakes Culinary Bounty listing and 3 above are listed so any other recommendations from that list appreciated.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
891 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining recommendations?

Moosewood is really good. Their menu changes daily and is very limited so you may want to check it out before you go to see if they have something you'll like that day. We've eaten there a few times and always enjoyed it. We like the Lost Dog Cafe...kind of an ecclectic menu but we've always had good meals there. There's also a good Tai Rest. in Ithaca...food is not local but it's really good.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining recommendations?

I would try Maxie's Supper Club or Just a Taste (both downtown) - these are two of my favorites. I was not impressed at all with the Moosewood and think it is incredibly over-hyped.

For lunch, the Smart Monkey Cafe is excellent; for breakfast, I like the Carriage House (near Cornell).

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining recommendations?

We're from Toronto and The Moosewood is one of the main reasons we go to Ithaca! Just be forewarned it is a vegetarian restaurant in a cafeteria-like atmosphere. You won't have to worry about trans fats here! Healthy eating AND delicious! Try a pasta dish if you're shy.

I always like to stock up on their Miso salad dressing which I love.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining recommendations?

Thanks for feedback. Interesting that Moosewood seems to evoke strong reactions both pro and con but do plan to check it out. Wondering if located in the Village Square section of town as it looks like an interesting area to explore on foot.

Wonder if anyone has experience re eating at Taughannock Farm and Taverna Banfi at Statler?

Also interested in exploring Cornell campus and can see from their site it covers quite an area. Any suggestions on where to park, how to do also appreciated.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining recommendations?

We ate Moosewood 2 summers ago. It is very casual, servers in shorts, but we really enjoyed the food. I would go back again.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining recommendations?

Sorry, forgot to answer your question about parking at Cornell. My daughter had an appointment and we almost missed it,as we couldn't find the parking lot. There are people in small booths,along the roads, at different areas of the campus. No need to get out of the car.They will give you a map and direct you to the visitor parking. This was a long way from where we needed to be.Give yourself extra time as there is alot of walking. Also construction was going on at the time we were there, 2 summers ago, so perhaps they may have more parking when you go. have fun

Ithaca
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining recommendations?

I think the reason you find so many mixed reactions about Moosewood is that it is not very consistent. Sometimes I go and it is fantastic, other times I go and am so bummed about service and food.

I definitely recommend Maxie's and Just a Taste as well. Just a Taste is on the Commons, and Maxie's is on the West Side, the direction you'll be coming from.

The Cornell Campus is large, true, and there will be lots of walking, also true, but the view and the scenery is gorgeous. Be sure to visit the Johnson Museum!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining recommendations?

If you're going to be in Trumansburg, you should consider a casual dinner or lunch at "The Rongo".....aka The Rongovian Embassy right on Main St. (96). Talk about a funky fun place....and reasonably priced! It's a landmark.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining recommendations?

Thanks to all. Visit is this weekend, weather looking promising and lots of good suggestions so looking forward to visit. Will post a brief trip report next week.

10. Re: Dining recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 10, 2009