We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

Hello,

We are trying to avoid having to go through Mexico City, as we hear traffic can be pretty bad... Does anyone the best way for going from Queretaro to Cuernavaca? Looking at the map, it seems going through Toluca might work out.

I am also wondering how much it would be to hire a driver to take us from Qro. to Cuernavaca? If not too expensive - looking at options to save time. Any suggestions for drivers?

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children.

Your suggestions would be most appreciated!

Daniela

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

It is really no hassle to get a Turistar luxury 24-seater bus from Querétaro to Mexico City south and then change to any bus to Cuernavaca there. You won't have to leave the bus terminal.

The road to Toluca is horrible - full of trucks and very slow. I don't recommend it. Don't worry about the traffic in Mexico City as it is somewhat exaggerated. A driver will cost you at least 300 USD (including about 140 USD of expenses in gas and tolls).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

Hi Stevemex!

Thanks so much for the suggestion! We will definitely do that - by the way, it is Futura bus line that goes to Cuernavaca - which I guess is the same company, run by Estrella Blanca.

Gracias!

Daniela

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

Yes, Futura will have buses as will Estrella de Oro and Pullman de Morelos. The latter has at least 4 buses an hour, cost 75 pesos. There will probably be other lines too so it will be real easy to get a bus once you get to the South bus terminal (also known as the Taxqueña terminal).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

Dear SteveMex,

I wonder if I may ask you one more question, since you are so helpful and knowledgeable:

Our current plan is to be travelling from Guanajuato to Cuernavaca in one day - Guanajuato to Queretaro, Queretaro to Taxquena, Taxquena to Cuernavaca. I figure that this will take us approximately 8-9 hours + connection times, it will be about 10 -11 hours on buses...!!

Would you recommend that we stop over, say in Queretaro to break up the trip?? What time of the day would you recommend that we travel to prevent too many traffic delays?

Muchas gracias!!

Daniela

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

I didn't realize you were coming from Guanajuato in which case you could get a Primera Plus bus direct to the Norte terminal then an official cab to the Taxqueña terminal. That would save you the change of bus at Querétaro and some time.

I wouldn't spend a night in Querétaro just to break up the journey since Guanajuato to Cuernavaca should only take 7 hours of actual travel time so at most 9 hours total. Of course Querétaro is a beautiful city with many historic monuments, museums, churches, aqueduct etc. so if you were stopping for sightseeing then that would be fine. But if you are just trying to get from A to B as quickly as possible I would probably travel direct to Mexico City North from Guanajuato (Primera Plus have a departure at 9.50 am arriving 2.55 pm), get a cab to Taxqueña and then you should be in Cuernavaca by 5.30-6.00 pm at the latest.

(The traffic in Mexico City is not that predicitable as I recently got stuck in a horrendous jam at 2 in the morning! But missing the rush hour period from 6am-9am and 7-9pm is probably a good idea. But don't get hung up on horror stories about traffic - it's really not that much worse than most big cities.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

!Muchas gracias SteveMex!!

7. Re: Bus travel Qro to Cuernavaca - going thru Toluca good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Queretaro City