We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
402 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

We would like to drive from San Antonio, TX, to Puebla in three days and would love advice on our itinerary to see if it makes sense. We don’t want to drive at night and we don’t want to be in the car nonstop every day. The itinerary we have in mind is:

San Antonio-Saltillo, via Laredo and Monterrey (352 miles)

Saltillo-Queretaro (406 miles) (we’d like to spend the night in Q’taro because it’s a nice place)

Queretaro-Puebla (210 miles if we go through Mexico City)

Is this reasonable?

Actually, we have questions about all three of these days. If the border crossing takes a long time we might have a hard time making the whole distance the first day, which would make the second day more difficult. And on the third day would it make sense to try to find a side route around Mexico City?

One way we thought of shortening the journey is to start in Laredo instead of San Antonio the first day and cross the border first thing in the morning. Does this make sense?

We’ll appreciate any advice! Many thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

I find this question a bit odd because you haven't really any time to see anything on your overnight stops so I don't see why it really matters exactly where you stop. (Each day is 7-9 hours of travel.)

1) If you are running out of time on the first day because of a lengthy border crossing then stop in Monterrey rather than Saltillo.

2) Monterrey to Queretaro is about 8 hours but try to spend an evening in Queretaro just strolling the plazas and eating/drinking.

3) You can bypass Mexico City to Puebla but it's complicated!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

I have driven the 568 miles from Laredo to SMdA in 8.5 hours on the cuotas (toll roads).

I had my visa; auto permit and auto insurance, so the Sunday morning crossing at Nuevo Laredo was uneventful - in fact, I was the only Southbound vehicle and no Mexican immigration nor customs agents were anywhere.

Get your visas and auto permit at the consulate in SA.

M

michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

Thanks everyone. This info is useful. We are moving to Puebla for the year so this drive is less of a vacation than it is a move, so that's why we are moving at a rapid clip.

But the above point is well taken. So here's a follow up :

If you had 4 days to drive the same distance, what itinerary would you suggest? Where would you stop each day to make the driving and evening experiences the best (given the circumstances).

Many thanks.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

You could stop in Monterrey, Saltillo and Queretaro.

Spend a morning in Monterrey at the Parque Fundadores with a canal trip (free last time I was there), iron foundry (different!) etc. or downtown MacroPlaza (park with museums, fountains etc. - the canal trip can be taken from here too).

In Queretaro you could spend a morning wandering the colonial center with half a dozen spectacular churches, stately mansions, museums, acqueduct, convents etc.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

If I had to stop:

Saltillo; San Luis Potosi; Queretaro, and Puebla.

On the return, if you have the time, the Santuarios Mariposas Monarca (New UNESCO World Heritage site; Morelia/Patzcuaro; Guanajuato, and Zacatecas.

M

6. Re: Driving from San Antonio, TX to Queretaro en route to Puebla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, October 03, 2009