We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question about camps

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Another question about camps

I've gotten several quotes from different agents, but now I have some more questions! Which camps would have wildlife wandering thru the camp? Or good viewing right from the camp? I'm traveling solo, but I think I'm willing to pay a supplement if I need to...

Also, which month has the best weather... Not too cold and not too hot?

What about the bushcamp company? I see their camps get high reviews. I see one of their camps have tips, which would be wonderful during the afternoon! And from what I've read, they walk in the morning and drive at night, which I think would be okay, if the walking does uncover lots of wildlife. I just don't want to go traipsing thru the bush and see nothing.., any thoughts on this?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question about camps

Most of the camps are open, so there is a chance of wildlife in camp in any of them. Camps on the river will always have hippos and birds to watch and often animals coming to drink, especially at the end of the dry season.

Weather- Zambia rarely gets too chilly, but September and October are particularly hot months. I normally recommend May- August.

Bushcamp company camps are lovely, I've been to most of them. However, as they're very small they mostly only have one vehicle, which means the camp does activities as a whole, with a real emphasis on walks. If you're not too sure about walking safaris, these wouldn't be my first choice. I love walking safaris as they feel like total immersion in the bush. You tend to notice a lot more than you would from a vehicle (sounds, birds, insects, smells etc) but you don't get so close to the animals so you do generally see less big game on foot.

Hope this helps!

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question about camps

"Which camps would have wildlife wandering thru the camp?"

All of them, potentially.

"Or good viewing right from the camp?"

The best game viewing I've had from camp was on my recent trip, at Puku Ridge. However, I'd be hesitant to recommend this camp to a solo traveller as they don't have communal dining, but separate tables.

Lion Camp also has a lovely view for game viewing from the camp.

I agree with Alex about the Bushcamp company. They only have one vehicle and guide in camp which means activities are decided by consensus, so you don't have a totally free choice. Also, in the camps with 4 rooms, you potentially could have 7 in a vehicle/on a walk (given you will be solo). I think this is too many. Robin Pope, for example, have vehicles with only 2 rows so maximum of 4 on a drive, and most camps will take a maximum of 6 on a walk.

I wouldn't count on seeing lots of wildlife on a walk, especially in June (you have talked about shoulder season) when grass can be high. You won't see nothing, but you won't see anywhere near as much big game as on a drive.

Personally, I think if you haven't walked before and don't know if you like it or not, I wouldn't choose the Bushcamp Company. I also think they charge single supplements year round.

If you want weather not too hot, I would agree with May/June to August.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question about camps

Thank you both! Looks like what I've already considered is still the best!

4. Re: Another question about camps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, November 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about South Luangwa National...