We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something less 'presidential'....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Something less 'presidential'....

i am with a group travelling to Lusaka, Zambia with Habitat for Humanity and looking for a 3 night safari adventure to finish off our trip. We did this last year and stayed at Chichele, which was lovely, but too much of a contrast to what we had been doing in Lusaka. This will be at the end of May. Any suggestions?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

There is a thread already going about the ins and outs of what is and isn't open in May in South Luangwa, but the one that immediately springs to mind to me as a contrast to Chichele is Tafika. It's small (6 or 7 rooms) and owner run with reed and thatch chalets.

They are at the far north of the park, and the owners are quite involved with projects for the local community and could take you on a village visit as well as the usual game viewing activities.

see http://www.remoteafrica.com/

West Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

There are plenty of options in South Luangwa (depending on budget):

Have a look through most of the options here:

zambiatourism.com/travel/nationalparks/sluan…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

Thank you for your replies. After much searching, I had made a decision, only to find that the one flight on the day we needed was full. Now I'm at a loss, because we don't have date flexibility. We could take a flight the next day, and arrrive at 16:10, (unfortunately, I had chosen Bushcamps, so then it would be a 4 1/2 hour drive), and we would only have 1 full day there.

Would this be worth it, or is there an area other than South Luangwa that I should investigate. (ie, something where you don't fly to Mfuwe)?

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

I would say it's not worth it just for 1 full day, and especially not with a 4.5 hour drive to the camp when you get there.

How about Kafue? There are camps you can drive to in 3-4 hours from Lusaka. The more remote camps up on Busanga Plains you would need to fly in if you only have a few days- however, I think these camps only open on 1 June so they are probably out of the question anyway.

Here's one that is drivable- http://www.mukambi.com/ but there will be others.

I would get in touch with an agent in Zambia. I've never used them myself, but I've heard that Voyagers are reliable. Or try Zambian Ground Handlers- http://www.zambiangroundhandlers.com/

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

Here's another one in Kafue-

http://www.hippolodge.com/index.htm

Even if the lodges don't do road transfers, if you are a group I would imagine an agent could arrange road transfers for a reasonable price (certainly a lot cheaper than flying to Mfuwe!).

Dubai
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

What a pity that you have such a short time! If you had longer I would recommend that you come to Marula Lodge which is at the gate of the park and is REALLY budget friendly! Enjoy your project with H F H!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

Thanks for this. I'm not experienced with trip advisor. how do i try and get feedback from someone who has visited Kafue National Park and maybe even stayed at Mukambi?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

On the first page of Zambia forum, Right at the top go to "Search in" and scroll down to Karue and view all the posts, look at things to do on the left side, etc. And then look at all the reviews.

Edited: 1:17 pm, February 24, 2012
9. Re: Something less 'presidential'....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Luangwa National...