We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracking Black Rhino

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Tracking Black Rhino

I know this might be a dream on our budget, it would be pretty special to see a black rhino in the wild. Well, I've never been to Africa, but there is a considerable difference between seeing an National Park elk in the town, likely munching flowers, and tracking and calling one in when hunting. We are only camping, three days in Damaraland ,then on to Etosha for four days.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

Hi, you may be lucky and see black rhino inside Etosha, usually at the waterholes, but of course it depends on the time of year and how much rain there has been recently etc. In Damaraland the Wilderness Safaris Desert Rhino Camp is the best place to have a really good chance to see them, at the moment they are offering a self-drive special rate for a 2 night package. This would be N$7686 per person for 2 nights from Jan to the middle of June 2014 or N$11,347 per person from the middle of June to October 2014. They're also offering this for the rest of 2013. This includes a game drive into the camp on day 1, dinner, all meals the next day with rhino tracking, a guided walk and maybe another game drive depending on how soon the rhino/s are found, then breakfast and a game drive out of camp on day 3.

It's a lot of money, but it is a once in a lifetime experience to track the rhinos with Save the Rhino guides, and the scenery in that region is stunning, completely wild and isolated. And with the exchange rate as it is at the moment, travelers from abroad will get even more value for money! I'm not sure if you can book this package direct with Wilderness, it might have to be done through an agent as it's a special.

All the best,

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

You have a good chance of seeing Black Rhino in Etosha without paying extra athough of course you cannot walk around there. They appear regularly at the Waterholes in Okaukuejo and Halali in the later evening. I go to Halali Waterhole after dinner at around 9 and wait awhile. It usually works.

If you wish to track on foot in Damaraland there is no need to bust the budget. Good tracking can be had at Grootberg Lodge, a community run place which is good value. I think a half day tracking is around N$1200 and includes a game drive and packed lunch too.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

Hi,

we have been ucky to have seen black rhino on every visit to Etosha! Both during the day and at night at Okaukuejo waterhole and Halali. On two occasions there were several black rhino coming and going in a short space of time to the floodlit waterholes late in the evening.

However we also tracked black rhino from Grootberg Lodge. After driving down into the valley floor (that took over an hour in an incredible landscape) we then got out and followed trackers and hiked for more than an hour up over rocky hills. Eventually we came close to a black rhino female with a calf. It was a great experience! Grootberg Lodge is also in the most jaw dropping setting perched up on the edge of a mountain looking right down a huge valley. We loved it and I thoroughly recommend it.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

Yes, Grootberg is also a very good option. Cost for 2014 is N$1250 per person, you can also camp at their Hoada Campsite and be at Grootberg Lodge early enough to take part in the drive, so you wouldn't need to stay at the lodge itself.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

We saw rhino at okaukuejo waterhole in etosha every night last year in may - 4 on our last night. We are staying at grootberg lodge (they do rhino trekking day trips on foot as listed by other posters) in February and their hoada campsite looks wonderful on the website.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

Thanks, the Black Rhino Camp would be great but Hoada Campsite is more in our budget.:)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

I will admit that seeing rhino up close on foot is a different experience. It would be amazing.

We have seen multiple rhino every visit to etosha (15+ in 5 days). We have seen them at Dolomite, Okaukuejo and Halali waterhole. We have also seen them while driving around in each of those areas as well. We have never gone more than 2 days of driving without seeing rhino. We have never gone more than 1 day without seeing them if you include the water holes. In my opinion, while seeing them at the waterhole is nice, it is better when you are out and find them on your own. Watching them in the tree/woods/field. The water hole allows amazing sights, but isn't the same is finding it yourself.

They are very easy to find in Etosha.

Windhoek, Windhoek...
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

Hallo,

If you make sure to stay at Grootberg Lodge in Damaraland, you can join one of their Rhino Trekking walks. Alternatively you can also try Palmwag Lodge for camping and their rhino trekking but Grootberg get the best reviews from our guests.

Enjoy,

Marie

African Profile Safaris

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

That's truly great to hear, Marie, we'll be staying at their Hoada campsite. The wife now tells me she doesn't want to be left in camp, so I guess there will be at least two of us.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tracking Black Rhino

I join in all the plaudits for Grootberg rhino tracking. Mind the shaking hands do make good pics difficult. I have some of the worst rhino pics ever as they bolted from scrub.

Get answers to your questions about Damaraland
More Damaraland Topics