We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windhoek to Epupa

Italy
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Windhoek to Epupa

As I get so nervous before departure soon , please value my itinerary (not booked any campsite yet) as Moweni at least has a campsite and Vingerklip has a room! Though Moweni are rude to campers! I cannot book the Lion tour. With a 4x4 with rooftent all inclusive, we want to travel Windhoek to Epupa (via Opuwo) and back entering Okaukaujo exit Namutoni (or vice versa) back to Windhoek in 8 days (29 August - 5 Sept 13). (Okay, it could mean exit Okaukaujo as well skipping Namutoni). I thought 1st night Moweni (now exchange to or Grootberg or Vingerklip Lodge) - 2nd night Puros (2 nights may be?) - third night OPUWO, 4th night Epupa Falls (2 nights may be?) - then Okaukaujo. I have 1 night left! WHERE? I read about HUAB Lodge, Kamanjab Lodge (to see Himba villiages). Why Okaukaojo? Because of the water hole and lots of animals.

We did Windhoek - Maun - Moremi - Savute - Chobe - Katima - Mahangu Lodge - Roy's Camp - Etosha - Windhoek on our own the last time in just more than a week! (we were not BRAVE but stupid!) to pass Botswana without satelite phone/one car only but everthing went perfect thank God! Not even a flat tyre nothing!! WE hated the sandy Botswana roads although it was lovely closer to Chobe!

This time I want LESS driving and again, time is tight and distances long!!!

I am ex Namibian but have never been to Damaraland and Kaokoland.

ANY IDEAS will be highly appreciated - GRAZIE MILLE!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,018 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

There is no lion tour. There are no lions there (probably).

I recommend HUAB Lodge, for 2 nights. You are still doing too much driving. Opuwo is enough.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,092 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

I don't understand why you would think Moweni Lodge rude to campers. They provide excellent camping facilities at a reasonable cost. If you wish to enjoy Lodge facilities then you should be prepared to pay Lodge prices.

Italy
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

Wow wow short and a mouth ful! I am afraid we want to do tooo much driving AGAIN! I take your option as a YES! Grazie!!!!!!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

Epupa to Okaukuejo in one go is just really too far in one go, especially if you are departing soon. The days are short at the moment, so you just won't have the daylight hours to do that.

I have done Epupa to Dolomite Camp in February with long days and that took me 7 hours door to door, with just a quick stop in Opuwo for a leg stretch.

Somewhere in the Kamanjab area would be a good option for you to break that drive. You could pop Huab Lodge in between Epupa and Okaukuejo.

You seem to be quite set on fitting in an awful lot in a tiny amount of time, so there probably isn't a lot of purpose in trying to talk you out of that. For me I prefer to travel at a slower pace and spend more time in each location so you can enjoy what each area has to offer, rather than flying through the countryside at a rate of knots, but I know for some that is the way they like to travel.

I do see though that you mention that from your last trip you want to do less driving. For that I think you might want to consider cutting out Epupa or Purros so you can slow down your overall pace.

For your first night you are now considering Grootberg. This is far from Windhoek, so your flight would have to be landing very early to be thinking about that. Mowani or Vingerklip are going to be a better first night option. End of August and begininning September is really busy this year... in fact the whole of September is jam packed in Namibia, I think maybe to do with hosting the Adventure Summit here, so you really need to think about booking these places.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Italy
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

Peterscot I took your advice - to stay at Huab Lodge and HALT at Opuwo. Nothing further........thank you!!

Italy
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

Mfuwe - I adore Moweni from what I saw on internet. May be I made error as we used to stay at Lodges in Northern Namibia from Etosha via Rundu up to Chobe Lodge! Four nights on this trip, we did camping and as campers, we were pampered! Meaning Roy's Camp, Mahangu Lodge, Ngepi Camp and Chobe Safari Lodge. Therefore, I am confused this time. My error sorry. I will give feedback after our trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,092 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

<Roy's Camp, Mahangu Lodge,>

Two of my favourite stopovers. It is just that at some Lodges they have different ideas.

Looking forward to reading your report.

Italy
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

I did'nt know!!!!!! We LOVE North and North East Namibia. By the way, have you visited "Buffalo Park" near Mahangu Lodge? I am trying to get info on this one!

9. Re: Windhoek to Epupa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, November 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Damaraland
More Damaraland Topics