We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best road WDH to Sesriem

Which Damaraland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best road WDH to Sesriem

Can anyone advise about the best road to take from Windhoek to Sesriem in July? We drive a 4x4 however do not have much experience.

Also NWR did not book our reservation for Sesriem so I will need a campsite close to Sesriem for 1 night. Any advise?

Namibia
Level Contributor
555 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

There are various options here, but a good road is to take is the C26 and than to go via Spreedshoogte Pass via Solitaire to Sesriem. It's not a very difficult road to take, just take it easy and all will be OK.

A good campsite outside of Sesriem is the Sossus Oases Camp.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

Thank you for the advise. I am a bit hesitant about the Spreetshoogte pass due to the road/weather conditons in July.

Unfortunately the Sossus Oases Camp is also fully booked. I am now considering Solitaire and driving up to Sossusvlei for the day. Such a shame NWR misplaced our booking.

Namibia
Level Contributor
555 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

July is dry and you don't need to worry. The Spreedshoogte Pass is also been laid out with interlocks and you will have no problem at all driving it down.

A very nice campsite as well is Agama River Camp and it is much closer to Sesriem than Solitaire.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

A little way on from the foot of Spreetshoogte Pass lies one of my favourite places. Barchan Dunes. As a change from Camping try their little gem KuanguKuangu which is a great place for two nights (or more.) You can self cater from your camper or eat with the hosts in their farm.

We drove from there to Sossusvlei Gate in 45 minutes with a packed 'breakfast' from the farm.

www.kuangukuangu.com

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

Agreed, you won't have issues driving Spreetshoogte on July. It is fine.

If you don't come right with any of the excellent campsite recommendations above you can also try the camping sites at Weltvrede Guestfarm, Little Sossus Lodge, Namib Naukluft Lodge or Namib Desert Lodge. They are all nice.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

The Spreedshoogte Pass is a gorgeous drive and very safe, especially with a 4x4. As NamXpert points out July is very dry and you will not need to worry about road conditions. Below is recent article from Flamingo magazine which details the mountain passes from Windhoek to Sossusvlei. Enjoy the drive!

venturepublications.com.na/ezines/2012/TNN_D…

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

That is a great article! Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

Nice article. Thanks for the link.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

Guess what just happened.....after 7 months I just received the final confirmation of Sesriem. So we succeeded after all! Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am more certain about the Spreetshoogte pass now.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best road WDH to Sesriem

Win win.

Good luck with the trip.

Get answers to your questions about Damaraland
More Damaraland Topics