We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tired of driving 500km a day?

Shanghai, China
6 posts
Save Topic
tired of driving 500km a day?

I will travel in Namibia self-driving in Jan 2017. From Wallvis Bay to Etosha National Park, I planned to stay one night in Damaraland.

I would like to book the room in grootberg lodge. But from walvis bay to groorberg is 500km, it seems to be tired of driving a day? Next day Galton gate entrance to the etosha, exploring wildlife from west to east, so where is the best for me to be accommodation?

Thanks for replying.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
821 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia
11 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

For sure you will be tired, 500 km on gravel roads is no fun at all! But for entering through Galton gate Grootberg is still the best option, and it is a gorgeous place. Just that you will not be able to get the best out of it, arriving late afternoon (or evening) and starting early in the morning.

BTW I am confused by your last sentence. What are the camps you will stay at in Etosha?? Or are you planning to explore the park west to east in one day?! Of course that is not feasible. For staying inside the park you have limited options: Dolomite Camp, Okakuejo, Halali and Namutoni (west to east).

Mentioned in this post
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
821 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Dolomite Camp
Dolomite Camp
655 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

I agree with Xelas- that is a lot of driving in a single day. Remember, there will be parts of that stretch where you will average only 40km/hour. Plus, you will need to stop and get fuel and bathroom breaks. It can be done, but understand it will be a whole day gone. You will see some change in landscape, but not much in the way of wildlife (especially at the pace you will need to keep).

I am also confused about the statement concerning driving across Etosha. If you leave Grootberg and enter the Galton gate, do not plan on making it all the way across Etosha. Most of the driving in Etosha will average 30-35km/hour. Plan on 30-45 minutes of time entering the gate (at the gate and getting the permits at the station). Plus, it will take a few minutes to exit. It is a long, slow drive across the park. Make sure you plan on time to stop and view wildlife. You may have the opportunity to stop 10-20 times in a single day for 5 minutes to 45 minutes watching wildlife. I would hate for you to be on a rushes journey just to say you were in Etosha.

Plan on at least 2 nights at camps inside the park (mentioned by Xelas above). IF it were me, I plan on 4 nights (2 each at 2 different camps).

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
821 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia
Shanghai, China
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

Xelas, thanks for the info. I agree with you, the drive can take me all day long. so do you have any recommendation for the itinerary?

Wallvis Bay ----Etosha National Park---Windheok, I have 5 days 4 nights, one night in Damaraland, 2 nights in etosha, because of the noon flight, last night I choose stay in Okonjima.

I plan to explore the park west to east in two days, one stay in Okakuejo and another is in Halali. Galton gate in and Von Lindequist Gate out.

with many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Shanghai, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

Thank you very much for giving so many useful infos ,Stephen.

I arrange 2 nights in the park due to not having more holidays.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

Is there a reason you are visiting Walvis Bay? I assume you are arriving Windhoek and driving to Walvis Bay...?? If there's no special reason, I would omit it. With 5 days I would probably just drive up to Etosha and maybe only tack on Okonjima.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

I agree with Daniel. If I only had 4 nights, I would skip the coast. It is not anything special, in my opinion, compared to Etosha and Damarland.

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Shanghai, China
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

All opinions appreciated!

If I stay in madisa or twyfelfontein, next day driving along palmwag---kamanjab---Galton gate, then I do my first accommodation in Olifantsrus camp of the park. another night in Halali.

Is it a better option?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

That one is surely a much better option, IMO. You will cross both Erongo and Damaraland and they are both scenic countrysides to drive through. Another option is to overnight at Hoada campsite; a long drive in kilometers but most on tar road. That will bring you closer to Galton Gate, and in case that Olifantrus is fully booked (it is a very small camp) you will have enough time to reach Okakuejo.

Yet another option is the one set by Stephen H above; drive directly to Okakuejo, and stay inside Etosha 3 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Shanghai, China
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

My trip is during the rainy season in Namibia. Although it is not a good season to watch the wildlifes, many travellers consider it is worth visiting western etosha and is different view from the east.

what's your opinion or just like Stephen said , diriving directly to Okakuejo?

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tired of driving 500km a day?

There is no such thing as "rainy season" in Namibia :-)); there for sure is a dry (and sometimes drought) season, when wildlife is forced to congregate around few waterholes that has any water, in large numbers.

My visit to Etosha was in May, I was lucky to have about 30 min of rain while in Dolomite Camp, the air was clean and crisp and the sky was filled with white clouds ... a photographer's dream! The country will be greener, in January, and the landscape you might drive through will be scenic. Yet with only 4 nights, personally I would head directly to Etosha (via Okakuejo) and explore the park for the majority of available time. For sure you will encounter animals, just not in the numbers that people do see in September or October. To me, west side was different to central and central was different to east side. Each has its strong points. However, Etosha being the size of Switzerland, driving west to east with only three stops, what to say, I would not go for this plan. Others might have different travel styles.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Dolomite Camp
Dolomite Camp
655 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Reply to: tired of driving 500km a day?