We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antananarivo to Nosy Be

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Antananarivo to Nosy Be

We are an group of 4 people needing to travel from Antananarivo to Nosy Be other than flights any suggestions?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

1) Fly directly in to Nosy Be with Air Austral or Corsair.

2) Get seats on the postal bus Antananarivo-Nosy Be.

3) Taxi-Brousse Antananarivo-Nosy Be (sardine-class with loud music).

4) Hire a car and driver in Antananarivo for Nosy Be. Must pay driver's return fuel if dropping-off only.

5) There is a first-class taxi: go to the hotel GRAND MELLIS in TANA. It will cost you €30 to travel in comfort to Mahajanga; then take a taxi-brousse on to Nosy Be.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Correction: Corsair.fr only flies to Antananarivo now.

Air Austral still flies Réunion - Nosy Be

Landing with Air Madagascar B-737 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaSf91OCzY

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Thanks Mike really helpful decided to go to Mahajanga and stop to visit the

Ankarafantsika National then carry on.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hi There,

Thanks for the info, thinking of visiting Nosy be in sept, Roughly how much would a:

Taxi-Brousse Antananarivo-Nosy Be (sardine-class with loud music).

cost and how long would it take?

We have done loads of travel in africa using tuk tuks etc - i imagine its a similar situation?

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hey there,

I also would like to do this. I've searched flight options but the only one available is Air Madagascar and the prices are not so inviting anymore.

How much time would it take to do option by taxi and bus?

Edited: 12:23 pm, May 23, 2013
Porvoo, Finland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hi,

Did any of you do this trip and can tell me the costs/best options. My travel time would be in December and there are three of us travelling to Nosy Be. If you have any other tips for the islands I would appreciate it too as the plan is to do some island-hopping.

Porvoo, Finland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hi,

Did any of you do this trip and can tell me the costs/best options. My travel time would be in December and there are three of us travelling to Nosy Be. If you have any other tips for the islands I would appreciate it too as the plan is to do some island-hopping.

Saint Denis,La...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hi Liri,

Madagascar is a very big island and from Tana to Nosy Be is about 1200km .By taxi brousse,from Tana to Ambanja costs 16€ and last 18 hours most of cars leave Tana in the afternoon and arrive in Ambanja(I'm now working in this town) around 11 am. but you can drive from Tana to Ankarafantsika which takes 9 hours then stop for a vist, you can camp there and camping is 8€/night ,they also got bungalows(35€/night) or a big apparement for 4 persons(28€/night). Then after spending two days in Ankarafantsika ,you can drive up north to Ambanja,(9hours) then to Ankify(25km from Ambanja) and take speed boat to Nosy Be 4€ per person.Madagascar Natural Tours(madanaturaltours@gmail.com) ,the local company that I used has got boats and guides in Nosy Be so you can hire them for your excursion to the other islands(Nosy Tanikely,Nosy komba,Nosy Sakatia...) close to Nosy Be.

But for a comfotable way,hire a car from local tour company or take flight from Tana to Nosy Be(198€).

If you got more time,it's better to do Ankarana national park before heading to Nosy Be. read my former posts for more information.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Ambanja
Ambanja
Antsiranana Province, Madagascar
Nosy Sakatia
Nosy Sakatia
Antsiranana Province, Madagascar
Porvoo, Finland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

Hi Craig,

This info is very useful! I have heard that the taxi brousse option might be a bit laud and crowded, is that true? Also, do you know or can you recommend some drivers or companies who will do these trips?

Another question I have in mind is that do you know any charities that would like have people 'working' for them or doing some minor things for them from one to four days, say? In return, have a place to sleep/food. I thought that on our way down from Nosy Be we could participate in some charity work.

Thanks again!

10. Re: Antananarivo to Nosy Be

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, September 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Nosy Be