We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosy Be and Nosy komba

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
558 posts
28 reviews
11 helpful votes
Nosy Be and Nosy komba

How many nights are recommended between these 2 islands?

And what excursions are recommended? We will be there end September

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
190 posts
27 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

Dear rdsat,

It's difficult to answer this question as it's very subjective. You could easily spend a month on Nosy Be and not explore everything there is to see and do. At a minimum, I would suggest a week on Nosy Be.

For Nosy Komba, it's a much smaller island and therefore doesn't warrant spending as many nights. Still, A comfortable/relaxed stay on Nosy Komba would take about 1 week. It depends on how much time you want to spend at the beach relaxing.

I would recommend a daily-excursion to Nosy Tenakily, this is a wonderful little island where you can see a bunch of lemurs, swim with turtles and hike up to a lighthouse.

Happy travels,

James

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
558 posts
28 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

Thanks James. We are more after activities than relaxing at the beach.

we were thinking 1 night only on Nosy Komba, but maybe we do 2.

Then 4 nights on Nosy Be, as below

1 day to Nosy Tanikely

another day Shark/Whale watching

another day visiting the island and the reserve

Do you think there are other interesting activities?

Thank you

Edward

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
87 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

Nosy Tanikely is indeed a beautiful place, there are some imported brown lemurs living there, but most fabulous thing that I found remarkable there were the tropic-birds nesting in the cliffs. These beautiful birds when they have young in the nests fly out to sea to catch food and return to feed their chicks, it is a real spectacle. The island boasts a lighthouse to climb up to, but people mainly go there for the swimming, the sea is stunning, the water around the island is crystal clear.

We actually send most of our clients off the main island of Nosy Be to stay on Nosy Komba, especially for people who are more interested in activities than restaurants and going out in the evening. Nosy Komba is quieter, has no cars, and is fringed by reef so you can walk from your bungalow to the ocean and perhaps swim with sea turtles before breakfast. Any excursion that you can arrange from Nosy Be, you can also arrange from Nosy Komba, the hotels have boats and can take you to Nosy Sakatia, Nosy Tanikely, Nosy Iranja (wow), etc. And on Nosy Komba, to catch your ride, you just walk down the beach from your bungalow to the boat.

Nosy Komba offers hikes up the mountain to the black lemurs, or from village to village around the island.

It is worth doing a visit to Lokobe Reserve on Nosy Be, which is about a 5-hour visit and can usually be fitted into a morning.

Another quite special place in that area is Ankazoberavina on Nosy Anka... for a splurge...

Edited: 7:05 am, November 29, 2018
Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

If you are interested in wild beach, I recommend you Chez Berenice in Nosy Komba, a comfortable lodge with only 4 bungalows, you will be the unique tourist there and the beach is yours. Still they also organise tours and transfer all over Nosy Be.

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
483 posts
50 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

I've stayed on Nosy Komba for a week and Nosy Be for 3 days. And if I went again I'd probably do 8-2.

We did our diving from Nosy Komba so that was the main reason but I also enjoyed the beach at Chez Berenice much more than the one at Andilana.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
558 posts
28 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Nosy Be and Nosy komba

Thank you all for the information. It seems we better allocate more nights on Nosy Komba and a few on Nosy Be

Reply to: Nosy Be and Nosy komba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted