We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takeing medication into Gambia

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Topic
Takeing medication into Gambia

I am takeing 6 different pils a day for a heart condition,and as i will be going out to Gambia for a long time,my doctor has kindly over the last 6 months lett me build up a large ammount of these pills to give me a 4 mth start,after that i will buy local ,that has already been taken care of,

what i need to know is as this amount i'm takeing equates to 24 boxes which it wont be after i'v repacked them and split them up.would these then have to be taken in a carry on bag ,or packed in the main suitcase,and if they were and found would there be a problem i will have prescriptions to back it up,

But it does look a little suspicious for someone carrying up to 720 pills in one hit,And thats not including the malaria ones as well of which i'l be takeing as many as poss,

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Carry on bag, Jeff, because if your hold baggage is lost you'll be stuffed.

Level Contributor
1,799 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Good point. My luggage got offloaded at Paris on a stopover on the return from Mombasa by Monarch. I eventually got it back after a week.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Hi Jeff.. Are they in "blister packs" stamped with the name and other details on or just loose in bottles? If they are just in bottles the gambian authorities might wonder if you are importing something restricted/for re-sale. To be on the safe side I would suggest you get a letter from your Doc confiming your condition and the need for the medication and the large number.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Trev yes they are in blister packs with my name etc on them,cheers.

Level Contributor
5,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Oldhamjeff, Take your repeat list ,Mrs b makes up that quantity in daily containers for 4 weeks.I take the empty boxes in hand luggage along with per-prepared containers.

Containers in daily boxes in the weekly pack cling filmed in individual weeks then all together, doses never missed.

A letter from your doctor confirming your meds in hand luggage and you should be fine

e-mail malaks with your list and see if she carries any ,Just In Case.

Carry all med s in hand luggage

Edited: 9:17 am, August 16, 2012
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

My mate regularly takes three months supply of his various tablets and has never had a problem. He buys extra in TG as he can now only get three months supply at a time.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

Really good advice here - things I would never have thought of. This is what this forum is all about!

8. Re: Takeing medication into Gambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bakau
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now