We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

looking at a cottage there next summer. Having trouble getting a feel for this place. Is it isolated? Are there groceries, shopping, things to do? Is the lake clean? ANY one who has visited there please share. thanks cp

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

Haven't visited there recently, but I lived in the general area for many years. Although I no longer live around there, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. I would be curious to hear how you found out about Greenwood Lake, as it hasn't really been a popular tourist destination for many years.

Is it isolated? Not really, although it does have a feeling of being much more isolated than it really is. The Lake is about 50 miles, or less than two hours from mid town Manhattan.The lake is 9 miles long and it straddles the border between New York and New Jersey. The small village of Greenwood Lake, N.Y.on the northeastern end of the lake is about a 45 minute drive from two major highways, Rt. 17 and The New York State Thruway,(Interstate 87)

Greenwood Lake has always been a resort area, based primarily on the lake itself. It is surrounded by mostly older homes, wood framed cottages, and log cabins, owned by both seasonal and year round residents. Many of the homes date back to the 1940s, '50s and '60s, when it was quite popular with summer residents from New York City, Once the cars and the highways improved and more distant travel became easier, folks discovered the Catskill and the Adirondack mountains, and "The Lake" as it was known locally, fell from popularity as a summer escape. I was last through the area in 2006, and to be honest, it did not appear as though much had changed there since the 1980s when I was around there a lot.

The little town had a small grocery store, several taverns, and other mom& pop types stores, but there were no "big box" stores, major chain motels or restaurants there. Less than an hour drive would take you to all of that though, including Woodbury Commons, a huge shopping complex. If you research the lower Hudson Valley, any of the attractions, features, and services listed would be easily accessible as a day trip.

The lake itself is in a very picturesque valley, and it is fed by mountain streams and springs, It has several very deep areas, and it used to be very clean, and cold, even in the summer. It was always popular with boaters, both power and sail. In fact if you do not own or care to rent a boat from one of several marinas, there really isn't much else to do right around the lake. There used to be a small town beach right at the end of the main street, but that wasn't anything to get excited about. I'm not sure if that is even there anymore.

Like I said, it has been a while since I was there, but it has also been a long time since Greenwood Lake had been a popular tourist destination.

If you could tell me a little bit about your traveling party, ages, kids or not, etc. along with what you might be looking for, I could proably tell you whether the area is for you or not, and possibly make other suggestions.

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

Thank you so much for the info. It is a yearly family based vacation consisting of my sis and I, her thre adult childdren and spouses and the grand kids. Ages Sis and I 50ish,kids in 30's and Grands 17,13, 9 and 3.

We plan to go to NYC one or 2 days.We enjoy boats and want to rent from a marina a couple of days. Shopping definitely. Flea markets and farm markets are good. Horse back riding. Zip lines.Go karts. One Grand kid is fascinated with anything Presidential. We mostly eat in. Fishing. anything a little off beat. We LOVE quaint old timey places so this sounds cool.

To answer how I found it, I researched any lake I could find an hour to 2 hours from NYC. Again thanks for your help. We usually go to the Outer Banks and Grand kid #1 wnated to go to NYC, Dreams of living ther. I think it with probably scare the Dickens out of him, we are from rural Ohio. LOL

Edited: 7:47 am, September 08, 2010
Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

Given your group dynamics and what you are looking for, then Greenwood Lake would probably work for you. Just do not expect anything fancy or "upscale", and you shouldn't be disappointed. The younger kids might be a little bored though. No arcades, movie theaters, or malls close by. The Lake is a pretty laid back small community. LIke I said mostly about the boating, watersports and fishing. At one time the fishing on Greenwood Lake was very good. Your day trips throughout the Hudson Valley would help fill your days. Your "presidential" grand might enjoy visiting FDR's home at Hyde Park. That is probably a two or three hour drive across and up the Hudson River. If any of you are history buffs, there is a lot of revoloutinary war history in the area. The US Military Academy at West Point is a nice place to visit, and probably an hour or so drive away. You will be about two hours drive from N.Y.C. ..... if you are feeling adventurous, There is also public transportation into the city available from about a half hour away. That would be my suggestion. Driving in that city is NOT for the uninitiated, and parking is nearly non-existant, or at the very least extremely expensive. They try to discourage personal vehicles from driving in the city. Regular service by either bus or rail is the preferred way to visit the city...... even for local residents! I'm sorry, to locals New York City is known as simply, "The city."

Flea markets and farm markets can be found all over the rural countryside of southern Orange County, New York, and northern New Jersey. I'm not aware of any zip lines, but there are numerous stables offering riding, and probably go-kart tracks if you hunt for them. Check the nearby towns of Warwick, and Chester. That used to be "horse country." You might find the quirky artist's village of Sugar Loaf fun to visit, and Museum Village in Monroe is a small duplication of an 18th century town, complete with costumed characters who do things like spinning wool, broom making, candle making, a blacksmith shop, and things of that nature. It's not Williamsburg, VA., but interesting and fun for a few hours. During the summer months the area known as Sterling Forest, a fifteen minute scenic drive from Greenwood Lake, holds a Rennaisance Faire, and that used to be very popular. If that type of thing interestes you, you would have to check locally, or maybe even Google, for current schedules. If you would like to give me the address of the place that you are looking to rent, I might be able to give some insight into the immediate area anyway, or at least the way it existed 15 years ago......... LOL!

Once again, other than for the occasional visit, I haven't really been "involved" in that area since 1995, so a lot might have changed since then. I tried to fill you in a bit on what I knew, and I'm willing to bet that the basics haven't changed all that much.

Are you driving from Ohio, or flying?, and into what airport? I might be able to help you there with suggestions or directions. Either way you will absolutely need a car..... cars .....or a very large van!

If I can be of any other help, please don't hesitate to post here, or send me a PM.

H

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

Hello, I too found Greenwood lake pretty much the way you did and after telling my mom about it she said our family used to go there 30 or 40 years ago and stay in a cabin! I visited this past summer, specifically the Breezy Point Inn, restaurant/hotel (only 4 rooms). This particular restaurant serves German American food, but does have burgers, salads and a kids menu. What's nice about it is that the outside seating is right on the lake, so the scenery is very nice. People sail their boats right to the restaurant dock to eat. Throughout the summer there are some activities around the lake, such as the Decorated boat show, where people decorate their boats and parade on the lake for prizes, plane shows, clam bakes etc. Since Greenwood is part of the town of Warwick, I would look at activites and events for that too. The part of town I've driven through does have your typical small town stores, I think I saw a CVS drugstore. I did check out a small beach but did not actually stay as there was a fee I think about $7 or 8 per person, but there was a picnic area where you could barbeque. I will be going to Greenwood lake and staying at the Breezy in October for their Okterfest and also do some apple and pumpkin picking in one of the many farms up there.

If you want me to chedk anything out, let me know before Oct 9th and I can maybe find out for you.

Regards

Gee

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

Does the Marina rent motor Boats? The kids want to rent one to tow a raft. TX CP

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

There are several marinas around the lake both in New York and New Jersey, the lake borders both states. You can try Skips Dockside Marina, I think they rent paddleboat, canoes etc.

7. Re: activities around Green wood lake? Shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Greenwood Lake