We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana pools camping in Jan

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mana pools camping in Jan

Hi all - I am looking for some advice on visiting mana pools in Jan.

I've been in touch with the reservations office who say that they don't take bookings for this period and that we must just pitch up - I understand that it's the rainy season but assumed it is just afternoon thundershowers - is this the case?

We were also looking at possibly doing a canoe trip as well - is this manageable in the rainy season? Any recommenedations - we are quite happy to rough it

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana pools camping in Jan

I just got back from Mana Pools. All the seasonal operators (Goliath, Mana Pools Safari Company) pack their tents and leave in November. The permanent lodges like Ruckomechi and Vundu shut down in November.

I am pretty sure the National Park Camp sites are not available for booking that time of year. If that is what they told you, it is true. Many South African's go in June which is early in the high season. I would not go before June.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana pools camping in Jan

I thought that Mana was open during the rainy season, but access was only by boat.

The tracks in Mana are neigh on impassable after rain, and vehicles using these tracks when they are flooded make a right old mess of them for the rest of the year.

Game viewing opportunities will be severely limited during the rainy season - a combination of high, luxuriant bush & animals dispersing widely.

Maseru
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana pools camping in Jan

The dry seasons, staring from June and best in September and October, is the time to visit as large numbers of animals come to the river to dring and graze. The latter season (October) gets very hot for the traveller.

The rainy season starts from early November to the end of April: most animals move away from the river towards the escarpment north. Between January and March, many of the roads and a number of camps close, though two airstrips enable visitors to keep exploring.

Excerpt from

africanbushcamps.com/safari-and-travel-info/…

4. Re: Mana pools camping in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, March 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mana Pools National...