We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going with kids

Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going with kids

So I'm looking to take the ferry with my little kids

Do I bring my beach cart on the ferry? They need toys chairs etc

Or is it a far walk to the beach that I should suck it up bring a blankie n sit on the floor? Is the walk far should I bring my stroller for them

Tjanks

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going with kids

Which. Town? Typically the beach is on the south side of FI and ferries come in on north... 15 minute walk usuly across island

Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going with kids

im cluless what town is the closest to the ferries i guess to swim. should i carry things with me or just grab and towel. are their umbrellas to rent?

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going with kids

Where are you taking ferries from ? There are at least 4 different ferry terminals i can think of along the south shore? Where do you live or are staying?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going with kids

"...im cluless what town is the closest to the ferries i guess to swim. should i carry things with me or just grab and towel...."

We have lived on Fire Island for 30+ years during the warmer months. To truly experience the beauty of Fire Island with kids we suggest coming to Sayville, Long Island where you can get the Ferry to Sailor's Haven and the Sunken Forest. And, yes, you can bring a small wagon with the kids toys and your beach stuff (towels, chairs, umbrellas) onto the ferry, probably for a small extra fee,

Fire Island is located about 4 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean off the south shore of Long Island; it runs east-west for approximately 35 miles parallel to Long Island and together they form the Great South Bay. Fire Island is comprised of about 20 communities, each having its own personality. The entire Island is within the National Seashore System and there are sand dunes, forests, deer, rabbits, foxes, raccoons, bird sanctuaries, and 10s of thousands monarch butterflies that migrate between Mexico and Canada.

The Atlantic coast beaches are the most pristine on the east coast of the USA. Most private cars are not allowed on the Island and consequently folks walk or take water taxis.

Visitors to Fire Island that we know generally head to Sailors Haven, Cherry Grove and/or The Pines (ferries from Sayville) where there are facilities, snack bars, groceries, restaurants, bars, clubs and/or discos. All three are within 20-45 minutes walking distance from each other; or you can take a water taxi in much less time.

Sailors Haven has day facilities, a snack bar and a nature museum (run by the Park Service) but also has a life guard. The facilities are FREE. The Sunken Forest is also at Sailors Haven and is a wonderful nature preserve and bird sanctuary.

Cherry Grove and The Pines have facilities bathrooms, showers, swimming pools, etc. at the local hotels but some may charge to use them. As well there are some good restaurants and groceries at the Pines and Cherry Grove, but no life guards. The Grove and Pines also have some very nice hotels and guest houses.

Please know that the beach at Sailors Haven is a very family-centered “clothed” beach while The Pines and Cherry Grove beaches are more “clothing optional” with a European flair, though this is generally truer of the Grove than The Pines.

If you are coming by train, the LIRR provides special (discounted) rates for day trippers that provide a round trip package for the train, transfers from the train to the ferry and the ferry rides:

web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/beach/index.htm

And for more general information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Island

CH

Edited: 10:07 pm, August 17, 2014
5. Re: Going with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 19, 2015