We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

Hi,

My daughter and I will attend a 7 days dance workshop in Manhattan until July 8th.

After I will like to take her to the beach to relax before we head back home Sunday 13th.

What area will you recommend? I'm between Long Island area, Jersey Shore and Fire Island.

I would like to stay away from renting a car, although I may rent one if needed at Newark before heading out from Manhattan.

Thanks!

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

Try vrbo for short-term rentals on Fire Island. It will be peak season.

Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

I've not had too much luck reserving in Fire Island, so now I'm leaning towards Montauk, more rentals. I may rent a car to ease my anxiety to make it on time for our flight Sunday night.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

Car helpful in Montauk. Start early on Sunday, worst traffic day to head west late.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

If you're considering staying at one of the Long Island beaches, also look into return flights from Long Island-MacArthur Airport (ISP.) Might make for an easier trip back to the airport for your trip home -- depending on flight schedules.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

There are very good prices on car rentals at Islip airport (ISP). Through the years we have rented there many times and have even left the car(s) in NYC without incurring a drop-charge. We usually use National or Hertz.

CH

Edited: 10:39 pm, June 25, 2014
16. Re: Beach getaway for a 13 year old daughter and Mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 27, 2015