We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

Hi,

My wife and I are continuing to plan our day trip to Cherry Grove. One question I had was about the beach. I seem to recall that the beach is sort of unofficially clothing-optional between the Grove and the Pines? And...this might sound like a silly question, but if my wife and I were to go au natural on the beach there, would that be within normal etiquette? I just don't want to break any unwritten rules, and I want to respect the customs of the locals. It would save us needing to bring swimsuits though, so I'm curious whether that's frowned upon or not :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

Hola.

Yes, much of the beach between the Grove and the Pines is "come as you are"....literally.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 2:05 am, July 29, 2012
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

It is not only that section. The entire beach in Cherry Grove often has nude people.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

mmmmm, not quite....you see most of the residents in Cherry Grove respect the Suffolk County and Brookhaven regulations (and local customs) that effect behaviors within the Grove and the adjacent beach, while the beach between the Grove and the Pines is Federal land and has different regulations.

CH

Edited: 7:38 pm, August 17, 2012
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

Well, since I have owned a home in Cherry Grove for 25 years, I would differ with you on this. Most residents do as they please which includes topless, or nude. Others are clothed. While Brookhaven laws do not allow nudity, I have never heard or seen this being enforced.

I also do not understand the reference to local customs. Many of my friends and neighbors sunbath nude and have been doing it for many years.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

".....since I have owned a home in Cherry Grove for 25 years....." What is the name of your house?

To most Fire Islanders, "topless" is not nude and most (but as we said before, not all) nude sunbathing is exhibited in the Federal stretch of beach between the Grove and the Pines.

CH

Edited: 6:14 pm, August 21, 2012
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

I don't want to post the name on here. It is on Aeon Walk and I am not sure why you need to know. Do you doubt what I am saying?

The stretch you are referring to is certainly popular, but mostly gay men. The OP could certainly go there, but would be just as fine anywhere along the beach in Cherry Grove.

Have a nice day. It was not my intent to get into a debate. I was just trying to be helpful.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

..."the stretch you are referring to is certainly popular, but mostly gay men..."

We guess that you have not been there recently. More and more in recent years, and as evidenced by the Federal beach during the past few months we see men, women and children romping in the waves.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 6:49 pm, August 21, 2012
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

Matt, this post is becoming silly. I have been there very recently, and have spent the majority of my summers there for many years. I have actually met you on a couple occasions. That section of the beach is mostly gay men.

The visitors can decide for themselves where they prefer to be. I was only correcting your assertion that they could not be nude anywhere along the Cherry Grove beach. Many of your prior forum posts describe Cherry Grove's beach as clothing optional, and it is.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

" I was only correcting your assertion that they could not be nude anywhere along the Cherry Grove beach."

We never made this assertion.

Further,iIf you have met us, then please identify yourself.

CH

Edited: 7:18 pm, August 21, 2012
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clothing etiquette at Cherry Grove beach?

".....That section of the beach is mostly gay men......"

You may want to tell that to the many women, children and (straight) men that we often see on the Federal beach between the Grove and the Pines.

CH