We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Getaway

Neptune, New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Getaway

I am looking at a getaway for my partner and myself during her birthday weekend the end of July.

We have never been to Fire Island and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations with regards to lodging, restaurants, nightlife, spas, etc.

Also, we are in the Asbury Park area, so any information with regards to transportation to the island would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Getaway

Fire Island has many communities, so you first need to decide where you want to go. Cherry Grove and Fire Island Pines are the mostly gay towns with The Pines being more men and The grove being more mixed. I might be reading your post wrong, but assuming you are 2 girls, Cherry Grove is the place you are looking for. There are several bars and restaurants, along with a great beach. July is peak season (especially weekends) so get your accomodation now. The Cherry Grove Hotel and Ice Palace is in the middle of everything, but rooms are basic and it can be very noisy. IMO, a better plan is to rent a house for the week. I would call A Summer Place Reality and ask for Mark. He is very helpful and can show you houses or apartments in a house that are available for the week. You might come out the same renting a place for the week, even if you only stay the weekend. Dune Point is another choice for a hotel/B&B with weekend rates. The rooms are clean and some are directly on the Ocean.

To get there, if you are driving, you need to go to google maps and look for Sayville, NY. This is the town the Sayville Ferry leaves from to take you to Cherry Grove. They also have a web site with all schedules.

You can also take a train into New York City and then take the Long Island Railroad to Sayville. Vans meet the trains at Sayville rail station and for $5 each, will take you to the ferrys.

Most people spend the days at the beach or walking around the boardwalks looking at the houses and gardens, There are several bars for nightlife choices. Cherrys is usually fun.

I hope this help!

2. Re: Birthday Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2010