We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip in august

Pescara, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip in august

Hi,

I'm italian and I plan a trip with my wife and my daughter of 6 in NYC. We would like to spend one day on a beach approachable by ferry from Bay Shore or Sayville. I'm undecided betwenn Ocean Beach and Sunken Forest, what you suggest me about ?(I'm very grateful for suggestions about others beaches too)

I learn that i can reach Bay Shore or Sayville from Penn Station via LIRR, but do you know if there are private bus or minivan companies leaving from Manhattan wich will drop off at the Ferry dock (either concerning Bay Shore that Sayville)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Giovanni

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip in august

Yes, there are two taxi companies (at least) that have vans that run from various locations in Manhattan to the Bayshore ferry. The ones I know are Tommy's Taxi and David's Taxi. If you call the ferry ticket office I'm sure they can give you the phone numbers. I recommend using one of these taxis as it does make the trip a lot easier.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip in august

If you are coming from manhattan, then bayshore is a lot closer. you can take the Long island rail road from penn station out to bay shore. and then a 4 dollar per person shuttle from bayshote to the ferry.

ther ferrys run about every hour in the summer months. this is the link thaty ou can use to look up schedules:

fireislandferries.com

from bayshore you can travel over to Ocean beach - its a town and there are some shops - and you can have a nice lunch. and then head to the beach - its abut a 3 minute walk to the beacj from town.

Sunken forest is more for when your children are a little older. its basically all out doors and there are wood walking ramps that take you through some trees Ther are some public showers and bathrooms its fun but no town.

3. Re: One day trip in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 12, 2009