We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Manhattan to Corning

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
From Manhattan to Corning

Dear friends, we would like to go from NYC to Corning to the Museum of glass. Can you help us, how is the best to go there? If rent a car or bus or train or maybe plane? Thank you very much for your help!

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,007 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

I generally drive. Not sure there is another option. Its a great museum. Corning is a nice town with some good restaurants also. You might want to look into doing a workshop..although they don't let you take what you make immediately (they have to cool.)

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

You could possibly fly into Elmira- Corning regional airport then rent a car. The airport is about 15 minutes east.

If you rent a car from NYC, it will take at least 4.5 hours depending on traffic out of the city.

There is bus service (Shortline, Greyhound are at two options) - it will take 5.5 hours according to their schedules.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

please, last question: we prefer a car, because we didn't find directly fly connection between NYC and ELM. We will rent a car. My idea: to go with public trasport from Manhattan somewhere to the periphery of NY and there rent a car and go to Corning without driving in NY. Do you have any idea, where is the best location for rent a car?

Sebastopol, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

I am planning a similar trip, but coming from San Francisco, stopping in Corning and then going on to NYC. Is it a scenic drive from Corning to NYC or should I just fly?

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

The drive through the Catskills is very scenic. It's not an unpleasant drive at all.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

Delta flies nonstop from JFK to Elmira, but only once a day.

Nykoping, Sweden
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

I plan to drive from Rye, Westchester, NY to Corning NY. I need a travel map and suggestions for stops along the way. How many miles each way? Can you help? Thanks

New York City
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

It isnt particually scenic.

The best way is take the GW Bridge to Route 80 to Route 280 (I think) in Pennsyvlania until I-81 N , Take I-81 North until you hit Route 17 in Binghamtom and take Route 17 West until Corning.

I think it took me ab out 5 hours for the drive

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
408 posts
667 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

Note that the previous poster - howardform - gives directions from Manhattan, not from Rye, NY as requested by izhakbm. From Rye you would take I-287 to I-87 to Route 17 to Corning.

See Google Maps online for details and driving time.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: From Manhattan to Corning

Show the lowest bus prices possible for this bus.

Reply to: From Manhattan to Corning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted