We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cooperstown
Search

1st time HOF advise

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
34 helpful votes
1st time HOF advise
Save

never been, husband dying to go..

few questions. is late september/october good time to go? is that a more/less crowded time of year?

where to stay, would like decent hotel, kind of close? had searched once and really only found holiday inn type hotels?

what is this "dreamfield" I see people chatting about?

Is a 1day trip to HOF enough? 1 night stay, 2 days in area?

are weekends crazy busy?

thanks for any help!

Roxbury NJ
Level Contributor
478 posts
128 reviews
75 helpful votes
1. Re: 1st time HOF advise
Save

just came back, dreampark is for kids for little leagues ages, baseball camp. wont be crazy, busy for leaf peeping.. sugest b@b

oliver corey house includes great breakfast, all baseball..the museum is nice and the lake osteogo is beautiful.. opera house not much else one to two nites is plenty

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: 1st time HOF advise
Save

Also just came back. Husband was dying to go (went as young boy, young man - now as old man LOL). Stayed at Landmark Inn B&B - was very happy with our choice. Walking distance to HOF and restaurants, and great breakfast served. Room was very nice and very comfy. Can do Cooperstown in 2 days unless you read every detail in museums. We did HOF 2 hrs 1st nite, 3 hrs 2nd day (if you get your tickets at 7:00 pm they are good for the next day- they are open till 9:00 so you can get a 2 hr head start if you wish). Lovely town. Slow motion. Not crowded at all (we went Wed -Thur). Have fun!

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
58 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: 1st time HOF advise
Save

I'd check "cooperstownchamber.org/secondary/…hotels.htm" site for ideas on where to stay, most motels, bed and breakfasts are not more than 5 miles from the town. I can't remember which place I stayed at, it was a AAA rated and clean. I went in Sept weekday and was not crowded. I'd suggest three to four hours if your spouse loves baseball. The main downtown strip has a Rite Aid, pizza joint and restuarants. I believe the HOF closes by 5 or 7pm, check their website. I'd say one day, one night if you down want to make it a long day.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: 1st time HOF advise
Save

thanks for your info... I am trying to plan this trip this fall.. if not, then spring.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
108 reviews
273 helpful votes
5. Re: 1st time HOF advise
Save

I am not sure if the HOF stays open until 9:00 in the Fall. The advice about the last two hours getting you free admission the next day is right on. We went during the summer and it let us bypass the long lines in the morning.

I am a single Dad and went with my 10 year old son. We easily saw everything in the two hours one night and the next day. Unless you really examine every artifact, one day is sufficient for the Hall.

We will likely go back in a few years - we had that much fun.

As for lodging, try some of the Bed & Breakfasts. I can highly recommend the Landmark Inn. Check out some of the Trip Advisor hotel reviews for some ideas.

6. Re: 1st time HOF advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cooperstown