We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

we are planning trip in july with our 7 and 10 year old grandsons both avid bb fans, red sox of course attend many games and play as well. will one night be sufficient. we plan on seeing HOF of course and than perhaps the farmers museum.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

to me one full day is sufficient,, everyone is different, I was done after a few hours.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

Cooperstown in a wonderful place.

I like Cooperstown's combination tickets. Special rates for 2 or 3 museums including the HOF, Farmers' Museum and Fenimore Art Museum. Under 7 is free and your grandsons will have a good junior rate. You look too young to take advantage of the 65 Plus rate, but it is there. (It looks like the 3 combination and the Farmers' and HOF are not available in the 65 Plus group, thoug)

Hope you've booked. They get packed in July and August.

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

thank you not only for the information but the compliment on our age we certainly can take advantage of the 65 plus rate - and keep up with the 7 and 10 year olds. did not know about combo ticket so that is good information

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

I believe the combo ticket can be purchased at each of the three museums.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

You might get lunch or a snack at the Fenimore Art Museum cafe overlooking the amazing Otsega Lake. The boys can run on the vast lawn to get the kinks out. Look at the picture here.

fenimoreartmuseum.org/fenimore/visit/shoppin…

One can get meals there without paying admission but find out if the Bark House is free too because that is interesting. It's at the end and side of the back lawn.

And actually the entire Indian Collection indoors might interest the boys as well.

That's the Mowalk Indian Bark House on the grounds of the Fenimore Art Museum. Very interesting:

…blogspot.com/2010/07/yes-its-house-made-of-…

And the American Indian collection:

fenimoreartmuseum.org/fenimore/exhibitions/e…

Oh, and some cool things called Life Masks. I think some are death masks too. They might think it very cool and gory that these maks were caste from the actual faces of famous dead people. They are are the Fenimore Art Museum too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

thank you to all for your help. I was afraid there was not enough to do with the boys other than the two or three hours at the HOF. Obviously there is much more to cooperstown than I thought. Now for a B&B that has availability some time in july or august.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

Oh, there's lots to do.

The thing is your accommodations

Visit Schneider's Bakery at 157 Main St. Very good stuff. They have kind of cakey black and whites if you're a fan...and lots more. We felt their items tasted good as well as looked good. Not always a combination in bakeries.

www.visitingcooperstown.com/gallery6.html

There is lots to do at the Farmer's Museum. More than the name might let on. There is a carousel, a collection of historic buildings formed into a village with interpreter's, and second weekend in July is the 64th Annual Junior Livestock Show, the second largest youth competition in the state.

And you might be able to take a peek at the medicinal herb garden at the Doctor's House, and the Botannical Speciman Garden. I understand there are alos plants used for dying and heirloom seeds at times.

We have had a great time at the Farmer's Museum whether it's us with the kiddies or just the two of us.

But now the thing will be your accommodations. I understand it is 900 young players that travel to Cooperstown area...per week. And, since they are young and since the invitational Dreams Park is an honor, their families come from all over the country to accompany them, even Hawaii. The players stay at Dreams Park but there is lots and lots of family filling up the rooms and houses around town.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

You may want to look into staying in Oneonta; about 20 miles away.

9. Re: visit with grandchildren 7 and 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, May 24, 2012