We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Which Cooperstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Bedford...
Level Contributor
72 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

My other half is dead set on taking our 3 boys to Cooperstown this summer. He has already told them we're going! ack! Just for a vacation, not for a tournament or anything. I cannot for the life of me believe how expensive this place is! And am I correct that its out in the middle of nowhere? It doesn't seem like there is really anything else interesting for 3 kids around except the Hall of Fame. They really want and deserve a fun vacation this year but I can tell you that we can't even get them out of their jeans to go to Church. Jackets at dinnertime (as required in the resort) are not going to go over well. What else can we take them to or what other towns are close by? I'm thinking that we might not even stay in the area if we can find other attractions we will stay near those and drive in to Cooperstown for a day trip. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

Level Contributor
193 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

We stayed in the Hampton Inn in nearby Oneonta. It was $175 a night. Very similar to any motel off I-95. Very expensive for what it was. My boys really enjoyed the HOF. I think we spent over $2000 for 5 nights including the fee for my son to play in the tournament in Cooperstown. I kept thinking that we could have flown to FL and be sitting on a beach for that much money, but...... We only stayed that long because we had to. You don't need to stay anywhere near that long. You could easily do just the museum and spend 2 days there. I know its a long drive to just see a museum, but it is worth it if you are a baseball fan. HOF is very well done. Alot of history.

baberuth16 - post a trip report when you return. I am curious what you thought. Reading your posts, I feel the same way - NYC can be done reasonably. Not Cooperstown. I thought it was very expensive.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Ah, that's the catch then. The need to travel in peak baseball season when the 900 boys and lots of extended family are in town every week for something like 10 or 11 weeks. And paying for the tournament nearby. When we go just before the season starts a room on the lake can be a third of the price it jumps to in season.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Okay, took a minute to look at my Lake 'n' Pines stuff re rates. While we were happy to get lower rates and avoid the masses in the summer, and while we are fall/spring people anyway, I don't see that summer rate out of line at all. Many areas we'd go to in the summer have astronomical rates, and I don't mean high-end islands. Looks great to me. Otherwise, food was not high.

Cooperstown, NY
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Our experience in NYC vs. Cooperstown is very different. We stayed in Saddle Brook NJ for $114 per night, drove over the GW Bridge each day for $8.00 then took the public transit $20. We wanted a breakfast at a Jewish Deli (which are getting harder to find) and that cost $60 for the 3 of us. We also had a 2 year old with us which made the subway difficult to use-- moving a stroller up stairs in a system that was invented prior to the introduction of babies it seems.

I eat breakfast near Cooperstown for $4 vs $20 in NYC

I eat at an excellent Chinese Restaurant near Cooperstown for $4-7 vs $16 in NYC.

The parks & playgrounds are so much cleaner near Cooperstown and we can keep our stroller and our 2 year old in it near our table in places near Cooperstown. When we ate dinner in Chinatown,NYC last time we had to park the stroller on the street (sidewalk) since we barely had room for our elbows inside the restaurant. My wife's face was the poster image of sticker shock that weekend.

Cooperstown, NY
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Babyruth16 I can see your point on a room for $214 per night. That is out of my budget for travel anywhere-- even Paris. I know of nice guest houses for $157 per night with 4 rooms that sleep 8, and everything you'd expect in a full house-- and near Cooperstown. Best Western in NYC would probably cost $360 for the same capacity, but minus kitchen and so on. It is really difficult to compare apples and oranges here, but If the Cooperstown motels are renting out each night then I guess the price is right.

Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

My husband and I haven't been to Cooperstown, yet, but we have been to other places-and I live in NY. We are going to be staying in a State Park (our first time) and renting a cabin. We decided to do this for our anniversary this year as it's what we could afford to do. We figured we would have plenty of time to spend out in the country, in nature, and would wander around Cooperstown and the area and have fun exploring. We have to bring out own cooking pots/pans/towels and bedding. Still, this was reasonable compared to other options and with husband out of work, we had to plan carefully to afford a vacation at all.

I went to the ILoveNY website and found plenty of suggestions on what to see and do in the area. It hardly seems a boring area-there are state parks galore and plenty of places to explore. But then, I guess it depends on what you want to do and where you want to go.

You don't need to stay at a resort. Rent a cabin somewhere, or go to VRBO and see if there's anytying reasonable to rent in the area. (we rented a condo through VRBO-vacation rentals by owner) last year for our honeymoon down south and had a great time.

I live in my jeans as well, and can relate to your boys!

Have a great time, and don't forget to post a trip report.

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
72 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Comfort Woods, next time you go to NYC ask around a little more for travel advice. What you did is exactly opposite of what I would have recommended you do with a toddler in tow. You should have stayed right in the city and bought the Metro funpass for $7 a day that would have cut your trans expenses right there. The Best Western in Chinatown runs Travelzoo promotions for $89 a night. Or try the Omni Berkshire, the $199 a night we paid was well worth the location. It was walking distance to everything in Midtown. I always check Travelzoo before booking a hotel in any metro area. So yes, I think you did get robbed paying $114 a night to stay on the Jersey side plus having to pay to drive in- but that's what happens if you don't know the area or research first. Cities aren't stroller friendly that's just a fact that doesn't have anything to do with cost. Actually most places aren't stroller friendly. Disney isn't even stroller friendly, when we were there last year you can't take your stroller into most restaurants or shows. You have to leave them parked unattended outside. I'd skip the stroller altogether and use a backpack carrier, that's what we usually did with little kids.

We had to postpone our trip due to our 11 and 12 yr old All Star schedules so now we're going 2nd weekend in August. I will post a report of how it went. And if we ever go again we won't be going while the tournaments are running at Dreamspark. Apparently that is what all the fuss is about and the rates and availability drop significantly after the teams clear out.

Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Just a quick post....

My husband and I returned from our trip on 6/27/09. We had a great time. We stayed in Gilbert Lake State park. I would highly recommend this for any family who is seeking a wonderful, reasonable vacation. I do think it might be a little difficult if you had to haul your kids to all the baseball related stuff in Cooperstown on a regular basis, however. We didn't go for baseball, so it was a moot point to us. However, the park offers some very lovely cabins that are very reasonable. You have to shower at a bath-house, but they have toilets and cold running water. There is a small beach, boating, and lots of hiking. We explored the area, and found it very wonderful, with lots of farms to buy fresh cheese and vegatables, and such lovely people! We love the area, and found it fun!

I'm from the NYC area. I would suggest that anyone bringing very small children in strollers be aware that NY is a very 'busy' city, especially during the week at rush hour. Don't try and haul a stroller onto a crowded train or bus at that time. I would suggest staying centrally located where you don't have to commute too far from where you are staying. I'd second checking out every travel site possible, and looking for the best deals. There are many reasonable places to eat in NY, thats the one thing I can state with certainty. However, realize however, that if you eat in restaurants that are geared toward tourists you are probably going to pay alot more. Alot of folks coming here enjoy the tourist spots, and many of them are expensive-because most of us poor New Yorkers from the boros don't go there!

My suggestion would be to find small, local places to eat-there are more of them in the East Village area-or check out the smaller places along 9th and 10th area in the Hells Kitchen area.

Cooperstown, NY
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

Thanks for the travel tips Frye & Babyruth16. Perhaps we both experience 'Sticker Shock" when in a new setting and paying full tourist prices. Once you know your way around an area, you can frequent the better deals and manage the travel more easily.

We were thinking of return NYC trip with bikes and baby tow behind trailer. We'll get your thoughts then and post on the NYC forum.

40. Re: cooperstown sticker shock & other activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 08, 2010