We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Hello! We will be in Cooperstown from 6/17-6/24 for a baseball tournament. After that, we will be driving down to NYC. Any advice, directions (or best direct route) to take to NYC is appreciated. Also, approx. how long is the drive in distance and time? Thanks in advance!

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

We did this drive about 12 months ago.We just continued down route 28 south.It is a pleasant drive through the catskills but not a quick one.Being foreigners we enjoyed taking our time.It would possibly take about 5 hours straight through.

The quickest way would be though 28 north to the thruway and direct to NYC but it is a toll road and is afterall another interstate.

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Thanks for your reply drron! It is much appreciated.

Do you (or anybody else) happen to recall how much the tolls run? I'm curious...I'm from sunny So. CA and toll roads are fairly new around here (and there aren't many around). For the most part, our freeways won't cost you a thing to drive (in tolls, that is). The true cost is measured in time & stress!!!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

I'm not sure about where you plan on entering the Thruway. The web site for toll rates is:

http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/

I believe the rate for Albany to NYC would be about $5-$6 one way.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Some of the New York City bridges also have tolls. Have some single dollars and change on hand for the trip.

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Thanks again everybody for your info. I'll make sure to have lots of dollars/coins on hand. Are the toll-booths manned or are they automatic?

According to the directions TO Cooperstown FROM NYC, I'll be doing the OPPOSITE of what is posted:

Use New York State Thruway (I-90) Exit 25A, take I-88 West to Exit 17 to Route 28 North for 13 miles and Hartwick Seminary.

Does this "look" right or is there a better way?

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

that is a good way to go..it will keep you on 4 lane highways most of the way..have fun

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Just returned from our trip to Cooperstown and our drive to NYC. Wow - what beautiful scenery! Lush green trees and valleys. It must be awesome in the fall. We didn't plan on LOTS of traffic due to construction.

So, to answer my own question (and for anybody else who's planning on taking this trip): In tolls, we spent $5.40 for our 1st stop, $4.00 after going over the Hudson River, and $4.00? going into Manhattan. It should've only taken 4 hours with normal conditions, but we spent about 45 minutes going 2 mph & 10 miles around the Catskills. Then, there was a major accident before the George Washington Bridge so that took another hour in stop & go traffic.

Thank you to everybody for your advice and suggestions!

California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Thanks for your input Jayden. We will be doing the opposite route in August, from NYC to Cooperstown, and then to Niagara Falls. I appreciate the info about all the toll roads. I never thought that they would be so expensive! Are they manned, or do you need to have exact change? What day and time did you travel? We will be leaving NYC on a Wednesday morning.

California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

Just curious, how much time did you spend in the HOF? I've read anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to two days!

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Cooperstown to NYC

We used the toll booth that were manned. There are certain lanes for commuters with a special sticker or thingamajig. In "the OC" (Orange County, CA) where I live, we call them transponders. It was a mad scramble getting over the bridge INTO NYC for the manned booths though. We left Cooperstown at 9am on a Friday and ended up at our hotel in NYC at 3. (This included construction, traffic, a "pit stop" and getting lost!) However, for our friends who left NYC to go to Cooperstown, they left mid-morning the Friday prior and it took them about 4- 4 1/2 hours w/out mishaps. BTW, the rest stops are clean and well-tended.

As far as the HOF, we went with a baseball team of 10 yr. olds. Also included were siblings, parents, and grandparents. The kids were content to spend 2 - 2 1/2 hours there and covered all 3 floors. In the grandparent group, the couples stopped, had lunch and returned for another few hours. The grandpa could've gone on for another few days but his wife threatened to go on a major shopping expedition!!! We missed one entire wing close to the gift shop near the exit (and that was after 2 1/2 hours). Have fun - I know we did!