We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riedlbauers Resort

Kerhonkson, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Riedlbauers Resort

Has anyone stayed at Riedlbauer's Resort? My Kids were there for a mt. bike race a few years ago and they said it was nice.........but I would like to know more about the place.............any info would be appreciated........thanks

South County, Rhode...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

Hi, I just did a search on Riedlbauers, in order to write a review, but found only your (recent!) request for info. No reviews. My three sisters, our families, and I (and our dad and his girlfriend) all stayed here mid-summer 2006. (We have all been here, as children, with our parents, and it was well-situated, geographically, for a mini-family reunion. The resort hosts many family reunions, btw.)

The resort has been around a long time. It is a difficult place to pigeonhole or sum up. Some definite contradictions. To cut to the chase, the rooms are a big disappointment. For what you pay, your room falls short, no matter which building you stay in (but stay away, espec., from the Hunter annex -- smallest and shoddiest-feeling of all of the buildings). Rooms are small, very utilitarian, and with ghasty gold velour bedspreads. That said, there are not many places you can get past an unappealing (albeit, they are clean) room. At Riedlbauers you can. The food is homestyle, not fancy, but very well prepared. The MAP plan is a novelty in this day, but does almost force you to relax on your vacation.

The grounds are lovely, and with many amenities. Great oversized pool, huge hot tub, pond with paddleboats, wonderful playground for children, driving range (with great deal on Steamers-by-the-bucket), inviting benches and tables everywhere, as well as atmospheric outdoor patio, lots of indoor common areas and a cute little bar. Also a snackbar. Best of all, the walking paths just behind Riedlbauers take, just a short walk away, to some STUNNING scenery incl. waterfalls, streams, beds of fern, etc. Just enchanting -- nature at some of its best, I think. Rip Van Winkle country. We hope to return in 2008...to better rooms. They should actually consider a whole new building or knocking down some walls in Hunter Annex to double the room sizes.

Despite the plain, grossly after-thought rooms, the resort has many strengths, all of our children LOVED staying here, and there is much to do in the area. You will very likely have a good time here...once you get over your room, and the fact that you don't need to spend much time in it anyway. They do all have A/C, btw. The resort also needs to get WiFi access. Some of us were frustrated at not being able to use our laptops here. Hope this helps you, Krista.

Kerhonkson, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

CEGoodman:

Thanks for the info on Riedlbauer's. With you info, I have now narrowed my search for the perfect vacation down to 3 resorts, lol

Thanks again for the info.

South County, Rhode...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

Glad to be of some help, Krista. Also forgot to mention that they have a very nice tennis court. But you probably already know that from their website (www.riedlbauers.com -- although currently not working, for whatever reason). They also have live entertainment (German music and staff performing German dances) most summer weekend nights, I think. There's also a lively restaurant/bar a long walk or short drive away (I can't think of its name, though). A mix of German polka, swing, etc.

NN2R. Good luck in winnowing your choices! Connie

Kerhonkson, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

Would that Rest./Bar a long walk from Riedlbauers be Crystal Brook Mountain Brauhaus? I know there are a limited number of real resort type hotels in the catskill, round top area and most of the nicer ones seem to be right in round top on Winter Clove Rd.

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

Have gone since a child and now take my kids, nearly every year. For the money, the rooms and food and German-American ambiance are first rate. Almost everyone there is a return customer.

6. Re: Riedlbauers Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 05, 2009