We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants in canton

my
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
restaurants in canton

My husband and I will be visiting Canton this fall as we look at colleges with our son. Any suggestions on where to eat lunch and dinner? We're not looking for anything elegant, but good food, in a casual atmosphere that is nice and clean would be terrific. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
718 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants in canton

Sergi's on Main St. is a good spot for pizza/Italian. It is popular with students and families. If your son ends up attending SLU, I can say that he will become very familiar with their pizza rolls ;)

McCarthy's on Rte. 11 was always a big deal, especially when families were in town. It wasn't really my type of food (home style cooking), but I know many people liked it.

Whenever I am back in the area, I always have to go to the Bagelry in Potsdam for a Gobble Bagel (turkey, onions, provolone, Russian dressing). It's not a bad quick lunch spot.

Be sure to stop and buy one of the big chocolate chip "pub cookies" at SLU. They are still the best cookies I've ever had in my life. Sadly, the last time I was on campus, last fall, the bookstore didn't have any and the Pub was closed. :(

my
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants in canton

Thanks so much...we'll definitely follow up on your suggestions as we travel there later this month. It's good to here from someone who was a student/resident.

How did you like living in Canton while at SLU? Very, very cold weather? Friendly people?

My son is somewhat concerned that there won't be much to do...but we've told him with 3 or 4 colleges in the area and no large city right next door, the campuses are likely vested in providing opportunities for amusement and entertainment.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
718 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants in canton

The people are very friendly in the area. It does get very cold in the winter, but you get used to it after awhile.

I came from a fairly large urban area (Cincinnati, Ohio) to SLU, so there definitely was some culture shock moving to such a rural area. I also didn't own a car until my senior year, which did make it pretty tough at times. But I did grow to like the area a lot. Friendly people, scenic (well, not right around Canton, but you're pretty close to the Adirondacks), big hockey area. With a car between Canton, Potsdam, Ogdensburg and Massena you wouldn't have the full urban experience, but there was enough not to feel overly isolated.

I don't know what kind of shape the St. Lawrence Centre mall in Massena is in now...they relied a lot on the cross-border shopping from Canada, and I'd heard they were struggling when the Canadian dollar got real low. Hopefully now that the Canadian $ is higher, business will pick back up, because that was a real hot spot for St. Lawrence students on the weekends.

Watertown also has a large mall and other national chains. I didn't go down there quite as much as Massena (it's about an hour drive from Canton). My friends and I did used to drive down sometimes to go to a Thai restaurant there, which is sadly closed now.

Canton's also only about an hour drive from Ottawa, Ontario, which is a large, cosmopolitan city with lots of diverse restaurants, cultural venues, etc. We used to go up there a lot on the weekends. Of course, I graduated in 1995, so border security has tightened somewhat since then and made it more of a hassle to cross over, but there's still not too much traffic at the Ogdensburg-Prescott crossing.

my
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants in canton

Thanks so much for filling us in. Lots of good detail...will pass this along to my son and his friends who are seriously considering school there. Sounds promising. We're looking forward to our visit later this month or early Nov. Thanks again.

5. Re: restaurants in canton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Canton
Recent Conversations