We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice in December?

Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Choice in December?

Hi all -

There look to be several very experienced people in this forum, so I'm posting in hopes of response from some of them.

I'm planning a honeymoon trip to Africa in the 2nd half of December. I realize now that this is perhaps not the optimal time for game viewing, which seems to be more at the end of September/beginning October before the rains start.

Unfrotunately, it's a bit late to change our wedding date!! ;-)

We are going to start with a few days at the Royal Livingstone to see Victoria Falls and hopefully do a little rafting.

Then, we are considering visiting the Okavango Delta, perhaps the Chobe National Park, and then to S. Africa to Kruger National Park.

So, given that we are coming in 2nd half of December, for roughly 10-12 days, are there any tips you have for the best possible game viewing experience?

We are considering Big Mombo or Jao camp in the Delta, but from what I've read, it might be worth staying at Stanleys, Khwai River, or Abu Camp?

Is it worth visiting Chobe National Park?

Is Singita as good as it is made out to be? TripAdvisor seems to be positive on Royal Malewane - can anyone compare it to Singita?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. If you have any special romantic "honeymoon" tips, I'd love to hear them!

We are also considering

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice in December?

Jao Camp is highly recommended!! Excellent food, wonderful staff and beautiful rooms! I wouldn't recommend Khwai River Lodge for that time of the year - the animals tend to move away from the river during the rainy season, so your game viewing proably won't be too great. Mombo would also be a good option. One positive thing about going to the Delta in December, is that you'll find greatly discounted rates, so shop around and find the right travel agent who will pass the full discount on to you!

Singita is a beautiful lodge - so is Royal Malewane. RM is in the Thornybush Game Reserve, which is a fenced in reserve. and not open to Kruger National Park. Singita is in the Sabi Sand Reseve, which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park (no fences between them and KNP - animal roam freely). I would recommend Singita above RM! Another excellent (and more affordable than Singita, although not less luxurious!) romantic "honeymoon safari destination" is Exeter Leadwood Lodge - really worth investigating, and once again, shop around for a discounted rate!

2. Re: Choice in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 23, 2009