We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps for a family with kids ages 16 and 13.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Camps for a family with kids ages 16 and 13.

Looking to travel sometime Jun-Aug 2015. Heard great things about Duba Plains, but so expensive. Have been looking at 3 nights there and 3 nights somewhere else. So if anybody has any suggestions as to ditching Duba Plains and going somewhere else, or Duba Plains and then a less expensive choice for the next 3 days. Want a combination of water and land, but prefer one of the camps having land and water, b/c I don't think we would want 3 days of just water. Basically the bottom line is six nights/two camps/ water and land based, budget around $8000-8500k pp.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps for a family with kids ages 16 and 13.

I think one thing that bumps up the cost for families is that many camps insist you pay for a private vehicle at a rate of something like $500 extra a day, which seems a bit harsh for a group of 4.

You might look at Kwando safaris. Their camps aren't quite as luxury as Great Plains/Wilderness safaris but they have great guides and great areas and I doubt kids are going to care much about the trimmings. They are less expensive than Wilderness or Great Plains and although they might make you pay for a private vehicle, IF they do then they charge for this on an "empty seat" basis. So if a full vehicle has 6, a group of 4 pays twice the "empty seat rate", which was $80 per seat a year or so ago. Clearly much less than $500 a day!

But even so, I'm not sure what their cut off age is for making you take a private vehicle. I shared with a family once and I'd have put the kids at maybe 14 and 16 although I'm rubbish at judging ages. That was in July at Lagoon and we had an amazing game drive following wild dogs hunting from their den, which the kids loved.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps for a family with kids ages 16 and 13.

Thank you for reply. I think the cut off for most camps needing private vehicles because of kids is 12, so not really an issue in our case.

Edited: 4:09 pm, May 30, 2014
3. Re: Camps for a family with kids ages 16 and 13.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 01, 2015