We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okavango Delta in the End of February

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Okavango Delta in the End of February

I will spend 3 days in the Delta in the end of February - do you think this is a good period to see game? Not just a lot of bird but also carnivores and loads of different herbivores? What do you think? I am really unsure since it's supposedly still in the rainy season...

Thanks for any tip, advise and or idea! :)

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okavango Delta in the End of February

One advantage of low water levels in the Okavango is that the game is more concentrated, and viewing is better.

Although February is rainy season, the waters of the Okavango come from the summer (January–February) rainfall from the Angola, and do not reach the Okavango Delta until May - so the water levels could be very low - too low to allow water based activities such as mokoro excursions.

It will depend entirely on the rainfall in Botswana from November - high rainfall will keep the water levels high, low rainfall and the water levels could be depleted completely.

Birding will be excellent in February

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okavango Delta in the End of February

Thanks so much for that! :)

Do you reckon it will be great to view carnivores and herbivores too?

So if I monitor the weather during these weeks if there's a lot of rain or not, I can somewhat predict the water levels, right? :)

Thanks so much!

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okavango Delta in the End of February

I think it better to consult the Lodge or Camps that you plan to stay in. From time to time there are updates on the flood reported, but they usually appear from April.

Check with Lodges of Botswana from time to time - info@lodgesofbotswana.com - as they operate three water based Camps which are on the banks of the Boro river, since they offer water based activities, they continually monitor the water levels.

The Okavango is not a major game viewing area - if it is purely game you wish to view the Chobe National Park may be preferable. The Okavango is unique, offering a remarkable and special safari environment - but it does not offer the huge herds of wildlife found in other areas. Choosing a land based Camp - for example in the Xakanaxa area - will improve your chances of viewing game.

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okavango Delta in the End of February

Hi. Thanks again for your reply. I will do an overland tour starting and ending in Johannesburg. I have been to South Africa many, many times before but never had to pleasure of visiting Bots before... I will visit the Chobe NP right after the Delta, so that's a great add. So actually we will not have any lodge or anything alike but just camp out somewhere. thanks again

5. Re: Okavango Delta in the End of February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 29, 2014