We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacks camp

Bilbao
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jacks camp

Hello, we are considering Jacks camp in the Makgadigadi for a stay during the end of August. Has anyone got any comments about accomodation and activities for this dry period at this location.

durban
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacks camp

Makgadikgadi lodge is quite something and a owner run lodge,

You might see the brown hyena etc and def lions.It is not as big as jacks and more personal.Its on Hyena island and I am sure you can google it.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacks camp

I have heard conflicting reports about Jacks Camp, but this could be due to personal prefrences. Have heard great things about Makgadikgadi Lodge, surprise sundowners on the Pans etc. The pans are awesome and something to see. Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacks camp

Hello,

I just returned from a stay at Jack's and it was phenomenal - I wish I'd stayed for another day or two! The accommodation was great -- classic 1940s style safari tents, with running water and showers (indoor and outdoor). The public areas are a mess tent filled with artefacts gathered on expeditions to the Pans (the only safari tent which is also a national museum) and a Persian tea tent lined with cushions and rugs. You can see pictures on the Wilderness Safaris website:

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com

During my visit I walked with the Bushmen, went quad-biking on the pans, visited the meerkats, and saw the rare brown hyaenas. With another day or two I could have gone out to look for Stone Age artefacts and fossils. It's very different from any other camp I've visited, with as much emphasis on experiencing this unique environment as on seeing animals. The surprise sundowners on the pans were a wonderful treat -- seeing the table in the middle of no where was almost like seeing a mirage come to life.

I had the privilege of meeting Ralph Bousfield, the owner of Jack's and son of the legendary Jack Bousfield. If Ralph is in camp when you are there, make an effort to meet him -- he grew up in the bush and is a fascinating person to talk to.

Cheers,

Julian

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacks camp

Jacks is INCREDIBLE and a total different experience. I cannot recommend strongly enough. Shame others have told you about surprise sundowners... it would have been a totally awesome surprise but you must go there and you will love it.

5. Re: Jacks camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 17, 2009