We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

I am planning our trip to Botswana and Kenya next August. My head is spinning trying to decide where to go. I am interested in Xugana (3N) /Savuti Safari Lodge (2N) or Xigera(3)/Duma Tau? (2N) or Shinde(3)/Linyanti Ebony (2). Then .. I am trying to keep costs down, so will I kick myself by missing Chobe and flying to Vic Falls. We would like to do a walk of the falls, heli flight, any other recommendations on what to do and standard accommodation? We prefer not staying in modern, huge hotels or camps. I looked at Chobe Chilwero (with a day trip to Vic Falls) but it looks like it would be quite an expensive option.

We will then go to Kenya - Amboseli, Samburu and Masaai Mara for 9 days. Any comments on my camp combos and itinerary welcome

Mentioned in this post
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,126 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are short-changing Botswana and travelling halfway across teh continent to Kenya.

You have limited time and money ("trying to keep costs down"), so it doesn't make sense, to me, to use what little you have to sit in a plane for most of a day, or two.

Are these pairings ("Shinde(3)/Linyanti Ebony (2).") choices between the 2 named camps? Why 2 nights at some and 3 at others?

How many nights in total? What is it that interests you about those camps? Knowing this may allow people to advise which are better for you.

Mentioned in this post
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Sorry if my post was not clear enough.

Ideally, we would like to spend more time and money in Botswana but cant do that. So, I have tried to balance out our short trip by staying at water camps, land/water camps, 2 nights at Vic Falls then the contrast of camps in Kenya.

I was asking opinions for our three options eg. staying at Shinde (3N) followed by Linyanti (2N) versus the other two combo options. Each combined camp options come under the same operator which might make the price a little better. We like the idea of more time (3N) in the water camps for boating, mokoro, fishing etc. as well as the beautiful relaxing outlooks. Linyanti, Savuti Safari and Duma Tau appealed as they are water/land based with many options. They are all fairly small camps with water views from their tents. We will be having more opportunities for 4WD safaris in Kenya of course.

In total, it would be 7 nights including Vic Falls then 9 nights in Kenya.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

To your question about Chobe, there are budget accomodations in Kasane or other lodges such as Chobe Safari Lodge you could look at to keep your costs down. In Vic Falls a room at Shoestrings Backpackers is like $30 USD per night for a basic accomodation.

You may find this helpful:

http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Thanks for the link, very useful.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,126 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

I think there is more than enough variety in southern Africa - Namibia (eg Etosha); Zambia and Zimbabwe border Botswana, as does South Africa, with one of the best wildlife viewing places in the world - Kruger.

If you want to save time or money, I would not try to combine East and Southern AFrica.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

I agree with Peter in that I would really recommend sticking to one region of Africa at a time in order to have enough time to enjoy each stop in detail, without rushing. But, if you do decide to only spend 7 nights in this area I would rather recommend 2 nights at a water based camp & 3 somewhere with drives, I think you may regret doing it the other way around as the walks, mokoro excursions and motor boat trips can be a bit 'samey' after you've done each one once whereas on drives you tend to see something different every time as you can cover a lot more ground.

Garden Lodge in Kasane is a good, small and well priced option for Chobe, or maybe Elephant Camp on the Zim side of the Falls, or Bushbuck River Lodge on the Zambian side.

I used to work at both Xugana & Savute Safari Lodge and love both of them, you will probably also find that you can get better prices for those lodges than the others you have mentioned. All of those options are great though, and all offer excellent wildlife, guiding and service in general.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

I would not skip Chobe! For the sheer variety and interesting animal behavior (rather than spending a lot of time chasing around looking for some)< Chobe is a gem. You can combine water and driving in the same day- early morning on the river and an evening game drive and then reverse the following day- then go to Vic Falls. Chobe has the highest population of elephants in sub-Saharan Africa. There you can watch elephants swimming with trunks held high, family group behavior, juvenile males trying to be scary, etc. I have seen lion cubs hidden in the grass, hippos like glistening river rocks, etc. Have been to both Okavango and Chobe more than once, and if this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, go to Chobe.

Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Chobe river front is amazing. Try and do some boat excursions as you will see hundreds of ellies, many hippos, buffalo, giraffe, crocs...

Chobe Safari lodge has boat trips. With the same park entrance paper you could do a river front game drive in the AM and a boat ride in the PM. You can get the paper at Sidudu gate about 5min from Kasane.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Thanks for your opinions, appreciate it.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Okavango, Savuti/Linyanti, No Chobe? Vic Falls

Expect low waters in August at the Victoria Falls so not the best time to view it. Water levels fluctuate year to year depending on the rains/floods..

See low water victoria falls at waterberrylodge.com/_a/images/vic-falls-low-…

vs high water

victoriafalls-zambiatravel-safaris.com/image…

Elephant back safaris, horse riding, chief mukini village, David Livingstone Museum Tour - livingstone side are recommended activities at the falls

I have been to your mentioned camps i.e. Xugana, /Savuti Safari Lodge, Xigera, Duma Tau, Shinde, Linyanti Ebony during my 6 week work safari staying at +60 camps.

For a short stay, it is best to combine land and water based camp experiences in Okavango Delta for maximal experiences rather than heading to Linyanti unless you want to tick the destination.

Shinde and Xigera if combined are good options or better Xigera and Chitabe. Savuti Safari Lodge is in public park - not private reserve so offroad is not possible as it only offer game drives so not the best when combined with xugana. Also. Xugana offers no game drives - waterbased camp so you are limited in maximizing your experience when combined with a CSL - public park. Get a land and water combined private reserve experience in tge delta and then combine it with CSL if you still prefer it.

It looks like you are bundled into the same camp owners - wilderness, ker & downey or Desert & Delta either to save on costs which is okay if you know which camps have the best and maximal experiences. Current option put forward are not the optimal possibilities - probably proposed with some obliviousness of not experienced all camps and their locations to judge and decipher the best experiences for you.

It is always in the best interest for the customer to recommended hand pick camps to have maximal wildlife experiences rather being dictated to stay with one single camp supplier - definite not in the best COMMERCIAL interest of single camp owners when you split stays but taking the customer interest in mind, maximal wildlife experiences should hold more value than profits. The general logic is is not ALL camps with the single camp supplier have the best experiences otherwise it would unfair allocation of land by the Botswana government

Another excellent option is Little Kwara in Okavango Delta and Lebala in Kwando Linyanti if you to stick to a single camp supplier and save costs too.

Some photos of Linyanti, Okavango Delta and Chobe camps and lodges

https:/…

https:/…

http://picasaweb.google.com/chobesafari

I hope this helps.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Okavango Delta
Okavango Delta
North-West District, Botswana