We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana

ct
12 posts
Save Topic
Botswana

Anyone travelled to Northern Botswana in the beginning of October? Understand that temperature get to 100 F.or higher and wanted to know how people handled that situation. I understand Safari in morning and evenings are bearable. Would appreciate some thought on this issue. Would August be a much better time and would the viewing be as good?

Thanks

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana

Hi there

August is a wonderful time to visit these areas as it is peak game viewing season, which does mean that availability is limited and there are a lot of tourists about the game numbers make it worth while. Temperatures in October do get up to 100F but not every day and only at midday. With the early morning and late afternoon activities the heat of the day can be spent relaxing in the swimming pools overlooking the mighty Chobe River.

The early morning game drives can even be a bit chilly in August.

In the Northern regions I would recommend staying in Kasane on the border of Chobe National park. Thebe River lodge and Chobe safari lodge offer reasonable rates in this area and the garden lodge a more luxurious experience.

Besides from game drives and wildlife boat cruises in the National Park a visit to Victoria Falls is a popular day trip available from Kasane.

If you are thinking of including the Okavango Delta on your visit there are flights 3 times a week between Maun and Kasane.

Enjoy!

Kate de Roubaix

Tour Manager

Truly Africa Tours.

Myerstown...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana

We were there in september and found it to be comfortable. we "roughed it" in 9' x 9' tents and went through the Nata Sanctury, Nxai Pan, Moremi, Savuti, Chobe and the Okavango Delta over 14 days.

game was fantastic with the Leoprds and Wild Dogs a high light. also saw masses of Kudu, sable, antelope, lions, elephants, giraffes, birds galore, wart hogs, jackals, ostrich plus much more. great close ups of crocs and hippos on the river and island.

Edited: 11:00 pm, September 23, 2012
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana

What tour company do you recommend?

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana

Hi Stewad-S

There are several safari lodge chains and several independent lodges (i.e. one lodge operations) in Botswana. Many of the lodges only work with tour operators and therefore do not take direct bookings from guests. In order to give you an accurate answer, are you looking for a tour company that contracts with the various lodges and can act as your agent or are you looking for a recommendation for what safari lodges to visit? I can provide both. I even know a good safari agency in North Carolina (again – such a company would own nothing in Africa and instead contract with the various lodges and lodge chains).

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Scottsdale, Arizona
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Botswana

I just returned from the Botswana Explorer trip with andBeyond. We want from Sep 24-Oct 3. Great safari, great guide and great support. We saw tons of animals at 4 different preserves-lions (with and without cubs), many leopards, one cheetah, wild dogs, hyenas, lions eating an elephant and then being chased away be hyenas, leopards eating impalas, a wild dog chasing and then eating an impala, tons of elephants, zebras, etc. etc.

We slept in tents within the reserve and heard lions, hippos and hyenas all night.

This trip is well supported, but not quite as comfortable as some of the lodges. (A tent is not a lodge.) However, the access to animals and other adventures is well worth it.

Highly recommend.

6. Re: Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 16, 2014