We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes, it's dangerous.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Yes, it's dangerous.

I am sad to report that our guide (August 2009) in the delta was killed by a water buffalo in July of 2011.

Thaba Kananakao was 63 years old and an extraordinary source of information. He was active politically and was clearly respected by fellow guides and villagers in the Xaxaba region.

The fact that a man who grew up in the delta, had such extraordinary knowledge of the area, and was so aware of his surroundings, could be killed is an indication of how cautious travelers should be.

My family will miss him.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes, it's dangerous.

any more details? was he on foot, guiding tourist on a walk? was he killed by a sole male (dagga boy) or by a herd?

condolences to the family

Gaborone, Botswana
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes, it's dangerous.

Yah... i think it would help to hav mor info so we also get to avoid such..... My condolenses!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes, it's dangerous.

With regard to Thaba's death a herd of buffalo passed by close to the village. This is normally a good opportunity to hunt an animal to provide meat for the village. Thaba and someone else from the village went out to do this late in the afternoon. While hunting a buffalo broke from a bush very close to where Thaba was. It was so quick that he did not even have time to fire a shot. The buffalo then gored him to death. This occurred at sunset so it may also be that the lack of light was a factor in this surprise attack.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes, it's dangerous.

Sorry to hear about the tragedy. We sometimes forget that there are people out there trying to feed their family/village while we are enjoying luxurious vacations. I tend to also forget that these are wild animals with instincts for protection. Hate to hear about this. Sorry for his family.

5. Re: Yes, it's dangerous.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, June 12, 2013