We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Shakawe area

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Shakawe area

Can anyone advise on a good place to stay in the Shakawe area of the Okavango panhandle? I've been looking at Drotskys Cabins (which seems to have been sold recently) and Lawdons Lodge, neither of which have their own websites Initial email enquiries for these 2 places (via a booking agent) have been returned unanswered because their mailbox is full.

We're travelling 2 up on a well laden BMW motorbike so will be unable to reach accommodation only accessible by 4x4.

Any advice welcomed.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Have a look here - www.maunselfdrive4x4.com/westernbotswana.htm

They can call to make reservations if necessary.

Edited: 5:09 pm, August 15, 2011
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

You can try Shakawe fishing lodge, The Kubu Queen houseboat handles the reservations.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Thanks very much for these suggestions. We're also now considering as alternatives Nunda River Lodge or Ngepi Camp. Any thoughts?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

http://www.drotskycabins.com/

Try this.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Hi Mfuwe, that website belongs to Themba, a company based in Cape Town that has a few of these websites that they have claimed the name of the destination.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Puts on Niaive hat to ask "Is that allowed"?

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit.

Just checked again. I see what you mean.

Edited: 5:13 am, August 17, 2011
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Hi Mfuwe , no its not allowed. But some operators not based in Botswana gets away with it. Its fine if you have a website that's called for instance "Botswana safari" etc, but not when you take the lodge's name as a domain name.

But that's just my viewpoint.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

A very valid viewpoint too. If I was Drotsky I would jump on Themba's neck so hard their face would leave an imprint in rock.

9. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, September 02, 2011
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in Shakawe area

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We've decided to stay at Nunda River Lodge, near Popa Falls (and can book direct). Drotsky's would do themselves a favour if they had their own website and email address.