We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kwando in late April or early January?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
934 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kwando in late April or early January?

I'm thinking of spending four nights in the Kwando concession; however I'm not sure if it's better to go in early january or late April, what differences might I expect?

and please, no advices like "you should go in July" ... if I could, I would, right now these are the only options I have.

thanks

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
934 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kwando in late April or early January?

personally, I don't think that there are "good" or "bad" times to see cats, as they are territorial and don't move over big differences, like for example wildebeests or zebras do...of course in general one should take into consideration that during the green season the grass is higher, the bush is thicker and the trees have more leafs, all these factors make it usually more difficult to spot the smaller cats...on the other side I went to Kruger in December and january which is their rainy, green season...and came back with having spotted seven different leopards over a span of two weeks...which is a lot in a park where you are (unlike kwando) are not allowed to drive off road

coimbatore
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Kwando in late April or early January?

Oliver,

You are right in that cats are territorial, but, be aware that you can't follow predators into neighboring private concessions in Botswana and territories overlap quite frequently. Ex., Lions, cheetah, wild dogs.

Cheetah coalitions do walk a heck of a lot of distance. Tracking them down in Lagoon/Lebala is a lot of work, time and patience - something that can infact be very rewarding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54235440@N08/5064041855/in/photostream/

If interested, there's my photo set from August 2010.

Edited: 10:55 am, October 10, 2010
23. Re: Kwando in late April or early January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 09, 2011