We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wild dogs

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
wild dogs

Any recommendation of where is the best place to watch them?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wild dogs

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g472673-i10231-k…

This post is about 10 below yours. I reckon Kwando Lagoon, and others say, they've denned there about 8 out of the last 9 years.

No guarantees, obviously, but if you go at the right time of year, they will stay around the den to return to the pups after hunting.

We arrived at the airstrip and the guide asked if we wanted to drop our bags off at the camp or see if there were dogs around. Silly question. We saw them within 10 minutes!

Also found a hyena den with cubs - very cute, too.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wild dogs

Thanks for your answer ..

But you could make me clear the place?

I will be at Duma Tau and Selinda .....

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wild dogs

Selinda borders the lebala kwando concession so you have a chance at selinda too. I would not go expecting to see dogs though, as it is not guaranteed. We spent 7 hours straight on a cloudy rainy day looking for dogs at lebala to the northonly to have a radio call us to say 3 had been spotted at the selinda border which was the other sid of the concession. We raced there missed them, went back to camp and within an hour were back in the jeep after they were sighted. We were lucky to pick up a pack of 17 dogs during the hunt. To see dogs you have to be prepared to work hard and live with the disapointment if you don't.

NYC
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wild dogs

There are very few places in Africa where you can spend 7 hours tracking something specific, Kwando gives you that opportunity and flexibility.

On the topic of the dogs, the pack of 17 is at their den near the airstrip at Kwando Lagoon. Smaller pack of 4 denning at Lebala camp with 9 pups.

Pandyuca, has a great shot at dogs at Duma Tau. Also, very good and consistent viewing out there. Selinda will be a little more dodgy. Bear in mind, dogs rarely den there these days. Dogs would still hunt in their area even if they are denning elsewhere. Territories overlap and it's all down to lady luck.

Telford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: wild dogs

just got back yesterday from holiday in Botswana. Stayed at Kwara Lodge in the Okavango Delta (Kwando safari's). Saw a pack of about 10 wild dogs hunt down an impala and feed at real close quarters. It's a rare sight but we managed to see them. Moremi safari lodge is another good place.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: wild dogs

To add to the good advice above … one of my colleagues, Tracy, spent two days last week with the guide at the excellent little tiny Santantadibe Camp last week – where there’s a pack denning with pups! She spent many hours with them, and we’re looking forward to the pictures when she returns.

Chris McIntyre -

Author: Bradt guidebooks to Botswana, Namibia, Zambia & Zanzibar

MD: Expert Africa & Wild about Africa

(offices in London & New Zealand)

new york
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wild dogs

We just got back from our Botswana safari. We were lucky to find two separate packs of wild dog while we stayed at Duma Tau. We also saw two separate pack of wild dog with 10 pups at Little Vumbura. We watched the pups play in a pond of water for about 2 hours . We did not see any at Little Mombo. We have pictures which we will post

8. Re: wild dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 28, 2011