We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which camp in March?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Which camp in March?

I have become totally overwhelmed with the choice of camps available. We hope to be travelling first two weeks of March to Botswana - we are looking at Mombo (3 nights) and I am looking for another camp for 3 nights so would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which camp in March?

Hi Deb,

Mombo would be absolutely fantastic. Another great camp this green season has been Savuti. The Linyanti has historically been quiet in the green season but this green season Savuti has been exceptional.

If you want Mombo and two classic camps I would go for Little Vumbura and Savuti.

Be sure to stay seven nights not six. Right now Wilderness Safaris has stay7pay6 so the 6th night is totally free. The only exception is Mombo so the free night cannot be applied at Mombo.

Craig Beal - safari consultant and owner at Travel Beyond

Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which camp in March?

If you do the 7 nights for the Wilderness discount and have 3 at Mombo and you did not want to experience the delta by traditional mekoro* or even by boat*, I'd suggest Duba Plains. Here's why.

a. It's my favorite camp in Botswana.

b. The unique lion-buffalo interactions at Duba would complement your diverse wildlife experience at Mombo very nicely.

c. Calves are born around Feb, so the lions have an added incentive to hunt.

d. The floods waters would not have reached Duba by March (even though you may have rain in Botswana) so you have access to a wider area in Duba to locate the pride(s).

e. Assuming you did 4 nights, that's a good amount of time for Duba in case the lions head to an inaccessible part of the concession. They usually are only gone a day or so, but with 4 nights, you could wait them out easily and enjoy the birds and small canines like bat earred foxes and often the elusive aardwolves. Many itineraries include Duba for 3 nights, even 2, but I would not go for less than 4.

Duba has less diversity than some other camps with lion-buffalo interactions and lions hunting in the daytime being the main attraction.

*Usually Duba does not do mekoro trips unless it is necessary to get from Point A to Point B. Mombo almost never does. For some people, being IN the delta doesn't matter, but others want that water experience that you can get at places like Vumbura or Kwetsani.

March should be good for low season pricing wherever you go.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which camp in March?

Good Advice Craig! Savute is absolutely come alive - just on game drive from Savute last Sat they had leopard, hyena, incredible amount of breeding herds of ellies and of course my ultimate... wild dogs. ;-) I'm trying my utmost to get flights in to also see "history in the making" with the Savute channel flowing again for the first time in 28 YEARS.... very exciting!!! Liza

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which camp in March?

Thank you for all the helpful advice - just trying to get bookings sorted out now. Very excited about heading back to Africa after almost 30 years away. I remember going to boarding school on the bus from Zambia to Zimbabwe and seeing game on the side of the road - a long time ago! Thanks again to everyone.

5. Re: Which camp in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 05, 2010
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now