We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

seatle
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Our family of four is staying 4 nights in the delta and 4 nights in chobe. Two years ago, a faculty member from our University was attacked and killed by a croc while in a mokoru. So...how safe is it truly, in a boat on the delta? We are travelling with CC africa, and have plenty of common sense and a good deal of respect for the environment, but I would appreciate any insight &/or advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

I think you've answered your own question.

I've never heard of anyone being injured or killed while on a mokoro trip. Its meant to be an idyllic paddle around a pristine wilderness. You'd have to be very unlucky to come across any danger, but the outdoors can be unpredictable, and it sounds as if something like that happened in the incident you mention.

Equally, people get run over crossing the road, or struck by lightning. I'd say getting attacked by a croc is about as likely as those events.

The beast I was petrified about was the hippo, especially when I found out how the narrow channels we were poling in were formed....hippos!

But the local wisdom was that there would be no hippos crashing along the channel at the time of day we were there. Organisations like CC Africa don't tend to take risks with clients lives. It would not be a sensible business practice.

Dont trail your hands in the water and you'll be fine. In any case, the mokoro trip would be optional. So, easy enough to do something else if there are concerns.

seatle
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Thanks, Peter. You seem to have invaluable advice for many forums. Would you recommend soccer balls for the kids in botswana as well or something different?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

I hope you are not being sarcastic! :-)

Yes, soccer balls will go down well anywhere.

http://www.footballs4fun.org/

I am really sorry to hear about your colleague being killed. Obviously, this is tragic. I just think it so infrequent as to be in the 'struck by lightning' category.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Dovelet, your question isn't stupid at all, anytime you find yourself in the wilderness there is a risk,and in africa it can be elephants, hippos, crocodiles or any other wild animals for that matter.

rangers will be careful but there is never a zero risk, so it will be up to you to decide on what activities you feel comfortable doing.

the tragic accident you are referring to took place in the tuli block, and the professor and his wife were on the limpopo river, where there are crocodiles but it is not supposed to be an area where the risks are great.

as a matter of fact people in tuli said it was the first time it had ever happened, which goes to show that animals are unpredictable when we infringe upon their territory...

keeping that in mind you also fly , ride your car...you will enjoy your experience in africa and i am certain that it will stay with you forever, so as you say, approach nature with common sense and a good deal of respect and be prepared for a memorable trip.

caviar

seatle
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Thank you both for your responses.

Peter--I'm not being sarcastic at all! It was a brilliant suggestion for Namibia and we were so glad to be able to give them away--they went all too quickly.

Music and sport really do seem to be two unifiers in the world.

Will report back after the trip--in a fever pitch of anticipation!

Sonoma
10 posts
6. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Regarding safety, if I am 65, female and travelling alone, should I be concerned about some of the areas or activities? I am considering 3 nights Mombo and 3 nights either Kings Pool or Zibadianja? Thanks.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Hi Jean.

You have been looking around for quite some time as I think we chatted back in November on the forum!

No need to worry about safety when you are with Wilderness Safaris in Botswana. I think you said you are traveling alone.

What time of year are you traveling? It is sort of good you waited becuase Wilderness is now publishing a stay eight pay for seven special good through June 30. If you want Mombo Camp I think you need to reach a decision real soon.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
109 posts
8. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

Hello Dovelet,

Many frequent safari travelers have a trepidation with mokoro travel, your inquiry is far from stupid. My hope for you while you're in the Delta is that you experience a mokoro trip. It is one of the only things in my life that brings pure joy, relaxation and appreciation. It is safe with the proper guide and in the right areas, both of which &Beyond (CCAfrica) will provide for you.

matt bracken-travel consultant-travel beyond

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

I have a friend who was in a boat with a couple on their honeymoon about 7 years ago and they were attacked by a hippo and the man on his honeymoon died. The guide had no gun and it all happened too fast for it to be prevented. My friend ended up spending the rest of her ten day vacation helping the woman get her husband's remains home to Australia. I am going to Botswana this year but will be very careful to go with a reputable company...but stuff does happen no matter what. It is a risk. Like getting in a car is everyday.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: This may sound stupid but...about crocs and hippos

sopia,

this also happened to a seattle doctor in 2006:

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/…

you mentioned going with a reputable company. i just want to be sure you are aware that there are safari planning/booking/consulting companies and then there are the actual lodge owners/operators that will control your experience on the ground. most people do not book directly with the lodge owners although it is certainly possible with some of them. wilderness safaris, the largest camp owner in botsawna, does not take booking directly from the public or travel agents.

below are the real lodge owners in botswana not to be confused with the many companies they work with that are serving as their agents/operators:

andbeyond, wilderness safaris, desert and delta, kerr downey, kwando, orient express, sanctuary lodge, and several private one camp properties.

criag beal - owner - travel beyond