We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

Summerland Key
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

We will be staying at these camps in mid-Oct for 3 nights each. Our concerns are: how hot will it be - a valid concern as these camps do not have generators for electricity and therefore, no fans. Will sleeping be a problem in that heat? Also, with no electricity, how to charge digital camera/laptop batteries? I have been told that there is a chance of it at the manager's office, but it's not certain. Lastly, were insects a problem at either camp? We take malaria pills, but I have heard that the camps can be HOT AND buggy. Has anyone stayed at these camps, and can you kindly give us some practical advice on these issues? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

Hello,

Temperatures in both areas (the Delta and the Linyanti) will be very hot in mid-October -- up to 40+C (104+F). The Delta will be cooler than the Linyanti due to the moderating influence of the water. Whether it will be hard to sleep will be down to your personal tolerance for heat -- the temperatures will drop at night, down to about 25C (high 70sF). If heat really bothers you, you may want to consider investing in a Cobber -- they're an Australian invention which does a very good job of keeping you cool, and are sold by Tilley in the US and UK (that reminds me -- I need to replace mine, which I left at Chitabe last year).

There are some pluses though - with luck you may see roan or sable come down to drink from the river near Lagoon Camp. Tent 1 will give you the best chance of seeing them as it's on the end and a bit quieter. I'd recommend avoiding Tent 2 as there are some privacy issues -- people standing on the boat pier or the deck can see into the tent.

Insects can be an issue at the time of year you're travelling, though no where near as bad as they are in the rainy season because it's still dry. The important thing is to remember that half the battle is to avoid being bitten in the first place, which means covering up at dusk (not easy to do when it's hot) and making good use of insect repellent. If you are sweating a lot, you'll need to re-apply the repellant frequently.

You should be able to charge batteries at both camps, though you will need to have sufficient spares to leave one charging in camp while you are on your game drive. Personally I find that three batteries is a good idea -- one in the camera, one fully charged spare, and one in camp. It will be very dry and dusty, so if you're using an SLR it's best to avoid changing lenses outside if you can. If you must change them do it inside a plastic bag and try to avoid getting dust inside the camera.

I'd highly recommend leaving the laptop at home as without 24-hour electricity it will quickly turn into a very expensive deadweight, and the dust and heat are not kind to delicate electronics.

Cheers,

Julian

Summerland Key
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

Thank you , Julian, for your valuable information. I am fortunate to have had you respond, seeing your vast experiences in Africa. This will be our third African safari, and I like to research possible problems ahead of time. The heat was not an issue on our previous trip to Chobe Chilwero, but this time at both Little Kwara and Lagoon Camp, I confess to being concerned. The daytimes are not really the issue; it's hot, still nights with NO FANS that could ruin a wonderful experience. We are not novice travellers, and have lived overseas in several parts of Asia. I am somewhat compulsive about details,as you can tell. Right now I'm teetering on the edge of rebooking lodges which may be more comfortable and/or air conditioned. I do very much appreciate your taking the time to answer. Thanks! Betty

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

Hi Betty,

If you're looking for camps in similar areas, there are some options which have fans to keep the air moving -- in the Delta, the camps of the nearby Vumbura concession (Little Vumbura and Vumbura Plains) have fans, and in the Linyanti, Savuti, Duma Tau, Selinda, Zib, and King's Pool all have fans.

Little Vumbura, Savuti, and Duma Tau are closest in cost to the camps you're currently looking at; Selinda is a bit more expensive and Vumbura Plains, King's Pool and Zib will be considerably more expensive.

Cheers,

Julian

(owner, Timeless Africa)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

BTW there are some options with A/C but the game is not nearly as good -- they would be the Orient-Express camps (Khwai River Lodge, Eagle Island, and Savute Elephant Camp). The last one is located in Chobe, not in the Linyanti where Savuti Camp is.

Cheers,

Julian

NYC
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

@ Julian - wecan't wait to go to Vumbura Plains later this year. I can tell from your posts, that it was your favourite destination. We have been thinking of booking a private dinner on one night to celebrate. Hope the food and wine is good...Your thoughts? Thanks

6. Re: Need practical information about Little Kwara & Lagoon Camps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 22, 2009