We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage advice please....

Oxton, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage advice please....

My husband & I are taking a 2 week holiday in Namibi, Botswana & Zambia staying at different tented camps and "normal" hotels. We are travelling between camps by light aircraft & therefore have a 15kg weight allowance. Can anyone recommend baggage that will allow us to make the most of this allowance please?

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage advice please....

We did a similar trip last year and were away for a month. We just bought soft light weight bags and threw them away at the end...well, in fact, some one in reception at the last hotel asked to keep them! The only problem that we found was that things got VERY dusty but this can be overcome by using black plastic refuse bags to cover them or something posher!

We did a 14 day safari starting and finishing in Maun using small aircraft to reach all our camps. The advantage of that was that we had normal suitcases with soft cases in side and just decanted our safari gear into the soft ones.Hope this helps

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage advice please....

I use a small ultra light wheeled bag as my carryon for the flight (camera's, medicine, one change clothing, etc.) and then I check a nylon duffle bag. I can put the duffle bag on top of the wheeled bag for carting around the airports, etc. With most or all of the camps doing daily laundry, clothes are not the issue, it is my camera gear.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage advice please....

Please use only bag(s) that have no interior frame. Light nylon, of course. The pilot will be smushing bags into the compartment. There's not much space in the passenger compartment, so I would only carry on cameras and equipment, passport, money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage advice please....

Hello,

Nomad Travel stores in London (http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk) carry some lightweight dufflebags which will fit the bill. A friend of mine picked up her bags there.

NB The size limit for luggage on light aircraft transfers is:

36 cm wide x 30 cm high x 81 cm long

(14 in wide x 12 in high x 32 in long)

You can have up to two bags, but the total weight needs to stay within the limits.

Note that although the baggage compartment is 30 cm (12 in) high the doorway is only 25 cm (10 in) high. If you have a 30 cm (12 in) high bag, don't pack it so tightly that it can't be squashed a bit - otherwise your bag may be damaged when the pilot tries to force it into the compartment.

As Bwanadave says, bags MUST be entirely soft-sided. This means no wheels or frames. I've seen people's luggage left on the runway when they ignored this rule!

Cheers,

Julian

5. Re: Baggage advice please....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 28, 2009